I am 49 years young, about 85 kg and never have owned a motorbike and have virtually no riding experience. I have always wanted a dirt bike for the frill of it, but with no friends riding I have just not got around to it. Have my learners and getting my provisional in next few weeks.

I am now biting the bullet and weighing up which bike to buy. Single trail, dirt roads, forest trails, riding parks is where I am guessing I’ll be riding. But to be honest, not really sure of where, but it will be somewhere close to the Gold Coast where I live.

I have been educating myself with all the online reviews and think that I am on the right path, but with so much info available it is difficult for one without bike experience to siphon the truth from the BS and agendas. One example is whenever I have called a KTM dealer, and said I have been considering buying a Beta, every time they pretend they have never heard of Beta. This is obvious sales propaganda from KTM and that pisses me off.

Anyway, I have been set on 2017 Beta xtrainer or rr250. Reviews suggest that the 250 is easier than the rr300 and has better suspension than the xtrainer. The 2017 KTM 250 exc was considered but cost too much.

So I was seriously considering a new rr250 with 12 months rego for $11,600, $770 more than xtrainer at $10,830. Now I just found out that the local ktm dealer has the 2017 ktm 250exc on sale for $11,945 with 6 months rego. The only downside seems to be the Mikuni carb.

Is the ktm worth paying the extra $400 over the rr250, and $1,115 over the xtrainer? Or should I just buy the easier to ride xtrainer? Can anyone set me free from this too hard decision?

Unfortunately I've never had the opportunity to ride any of the bikes listed but I'd just test ride them and see which one you feel most comfortable on. I know high level recommendation but hope it's still helpful. Also, I've always bought used. Maybe worth considering? I'm currently riding a 2400 dollar 04 RM 250 and love it... Have fun riding!!

• Like 1

All these bikes are good. It's not like it's a decision between good or bad, just different flavors of ice cream. As a total n00b to the sport,  I'd buy the most forgiving bike. After all, if you don't have fun, it doesn't matter what you pick. Few keep their bikes forever, so as you progress, you can always trade up to more powerful options. Not sure about where you live, but resale on KTM is better than Beta in my area, so that $400 delta a couple of years down the road is likely not much of a consideration. Also, not sure about your budget, but if on the tighter side, that $1,115 is a lot of good gear you'll need to ride safely. Good luck and let us know what you decide!

• Like 2