Do you give other riders the finger(s)?

I started wondering if this is just a regional thing or not.  When my group and I ride off road, we signal to any oncoming traffic with the specific number of fingers showing how many riders in our group are after that individual.  I started wondering about this when I've signaled to other riders with this system and got weird looks like "What's that mean?" or if I just held 2 fingers up I get 2 fingers back with a "peace dude".  So is this practice a regional thing or do you TT'ers spread all over the country know about it and use it?  How about world wide?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, motoxvet said:

I started wondering if this is just a regional thing or not.  When my group and I ride off road, we signal to any oncoming traffic with the specific number of fingers showing how many riders in our group are after that individual.  I started wondering about this when I've signaled to other riders with this system and got weird looks like "What's that mean?" or if I just held 2 fingers up I get 2 fingers back with a "peace dude".  So is this practice a regional thing or do you TT'ers spread all over the country know about it and use it?  How about world wide?

And I'm always sure to give the middle finger to motocrossers. . . . lol

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

I give the finger to quad and SxS drivers.  Other dirt bikers either get a wave or nothing.

Is it possible it's not as big an issue in areas with no forests?  Can you usually see around corners in NM, AZ, NV? In my area I can rarely see around a corner. You would maybe either see over the underbrush or through (under) tall trees.  I haven't had a head-on lately but I did have one.  Not pretty. 

• Like 1

No, I've never provided a 'group count', just a regular wave. If the person coming toward me was ripping and there were people behind me, I use the 'slow down' motion to try and make them aware. If the oncopming rider is crossing over to make a head on, I'll vigorously point to his side to make the point of not coming at me. Though you'd think that would be a 'no brainer' but then again, if you have to be told not to head on, then maybe you do not have a brain to start with!

• Like 1

I've been a mx only racer since I was a kid and we all go the same direction.  But been out of it few years and do some trail riding now days. Allways worry about the head-on. I go a very fast trail ride pace but blind corners stuff like that gotta be super cautious.  Seem to have bunch of kids behind me these days want them to be safe.  I always worry about that one guy tho. Racing never worried me lol think its safer :ride:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, motoxvet said:

Standard procedure in Arizona. 

If it is safe I do but usually I come up on them pretty quickly and just scream it out. Especially if we are all on technical terrain, I tend to keep both hands on the bars. My luck, being courteous will cause me to bash a pipe or my body. Just sayin.

4 hours ago, Smoking 2's said:

I posted this very question not to long ago, happy to here it come back up again and pleased to say 90% of all people I came across last weekend had a number or a solid fist meaning zero. Safety first is my saying!

Happily, MOST people where I ride (WV) do the same. The few that don't seem to be the A-hole SXS A-holes. Couldn't agree with you more.

• Like 1