I am a new rider and need help buying gear

Hello, Thumper Talk, I am a new rider, I just got my license 2 weeks ago and will be getting a bike within the next couple weeks. I have my eyes on a klr 650 but I haven't looked at it yet. My problem isn't with the bike it is with the gear, I will be using this bike for short commuting 5-10 min for work and longer 1hr+ treks, all street at first but I do hope to get off the road eventually, so I need to be able to get it all off with relative ease. I also live in Wisconsin so I need protection from cold, rain, sun, heat, and maybe snow if I dare to try, I would like to accomplish this with around 500$, which is a lot to ask but I do already have a helmet so that will help. I have the AFX FX-39 hi-vis urban camo. If it is absolutely worth it or a really good deal I will go over 500$. So basically what I need is boots, leg armor, upper body armor, and gloves. Some ideas I already had are the o'neal element for boots but they don't seem to have enough protection at the ankle, knee brace and hip armor while just rock denim but I don't think that would be a good idea for the highway, something like the fox titan for upper body with a jacket that can provide protection on the road but I thought that might just get complicated, along with a neck brace and I didn't know what to do for gloves. Obviously this is a lot but I couldn't find anyone that had already asked this before, Thanks.

Hey Regoto,

Congrats on your first post, and getting into the game. I don't think you will be needing all that gear for a klr 650. If you are a REALLY good rider, maybe.... but, if you are starting out or not real experienced, the KLR is not going to go where you need all that gear. Best thing you can do is get your bike and ride it, see what you need. IMO if you get all the gear that you think you need before you ever ride you will never use half of it. There is no magic bullet, if you are on the road a lot you need wind and rain protection, if you are in the gnar you need body protection and a smaller bike. A DRZ 400 would be more suited to both. If you figure out how to do it for $500 let us know but you usually have to choose between quality and price. A good set of knee braces will take your whole budget. Best thing to do is ride and add pieces that you find you need as you ride. If you are looking for armor start at the feet and work your way up. Statistically, most injuries in off road start with the feet, then the knees, then hips and so on. After the helmet of course. If you are 98% road and dirt road blow your whole budget on the best adventure jacket and pants you can afford. There are some good threads on this, and reviews online.  Good luck, and be safe. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, newk75 said:

A DRZ 400 would be more suited to both.

I want a drz400s but in my area they are out of my budget and I may have found a good deal on a klr 650

• Like 1

Craig's,eBay and the like are great places to find quality gear for cheap if you know what you're looking at(google everything if possible). The only major drawback would be if you're an odd size. If you are, there are less options, but prices are usually better as the owners have usually been sitting on them longer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Regoto said:

I want a drz400s but in my area they are out of my budget and I may have found a good deal on a klr 650

If you keep an eye out you can get a DRZ for under 2k, they are out there. My only thought was you can ride a DRZ anywhere a KLR goes but you can also go anywhere a KTM 500 goes. A few weeks ago we did some riding in some pretty gnarly stuff. A buddy of mine who is a better rider than me took my '01 DRZ and rode faster and better than me on my 17 Beta 500 RR_S. He would of NEVER made it on a KLR. For one he couldn't of picked it up 50 times in a weekend. KLR is an amazing bike but IMHO not meant to do the stuff where body armor is an issue. Great thing about biking is that whatever the level of skill and bike the adrenaline and satisfaction is the same when you push yourself and get better. 

• Like 1

I own a KLR and concur that if you are going to do much offroad,  wait for the drz.  On the gear, you can find a lot of really good stuff used,  and you can find a lot of it new for far less money than the best.  I have some of both,  and lots of it seems to come from the same kinds of actual manufacturers.  Fit is pretty important  for most of us.  For the colder rides snowmobile pants work better for me than ANY of the so called 'adventure pants'.  It seems as soon as you find an "aventure" label of any kind,  the price goes up.   You will need more than 2 pairs of gloves if you plan,   warm,  cool,  and cold weather riding,  but the KLR stock hand shields do a pretty good job of keeping the wind off your hands.  My warm and cool weather gloves are both offroad oriented,  the cold weather ones,  once again come from a snowmobile shop.  

On knee braces you get a whole lot of opinions.  Mine after riding over 60 years is that if yours are healthy now that you probably won't use them for your commutes.   There are 20 dollar answers if you just need them for support.   If they are bad,  and you are considering serious offroading then you will need some better ones in the area of support.   After wearing some 400 dollar ones,  I am convinced it wouldnt be at the top of my list with normally healthy ones to begin with,  and I honestly don't believe that they will do as much as some are convinced they will do to keep you from injuring your knees.   (I am talking the 4-600 dollar ones.) 

• Like 1

subscribe to this guy on youtube. I have got a lot of good info from him. click more info to the links to stuff. 

I now always gear up for any ride street or dirt the same. helmet, goggles, neck protector, ce armored mesh jacket, mx boots, padded under shorts, 600 - 900 denier tex pant, knee guards, gloves. I pack my old ski jacket outer cover in case it gets cold or rainy. I just got a new bell mx 9 MIPS LOVE IT!

The helmet was $180 and the rest of the gear above was I'm guessing under $350. look for closeouts, take your time. 

Most importantly since you are "new", RIDE SMART watch youtube. Watch the accident vids., proper cornering vids, counter steering vids. ect. Ride in the country away from intersections at first. Practice panic braking!!. 

Ok I stepped off my soap box LOL. Welcome......

• Like 1

On 5/18/2017 at 1:40 PM, Fango said:

What kind of climate will you be riding in?

In Wisconsin we get the whole ball of wax, but I will be trying to stick to 50-90f degree weather with little to no rain.

On 5/17/2017 at 1:06 PM, newk75 said:

get a DRZ for under 2k

On 5/17/2017 at 1:17 PM, ossagp said:

wait for the drz

I checked craigslist again and I found a drz400e with some extras for 2200$, I went and got it yesterday. It was a little over my budget so I am restricted on my budget for gear now but I pretty much just want to be atgatt enough to commute to and from work and I will worry about the nick nacks later.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Regoto said:

In Wisconsin we get the whole ball of wax, but I will be trying to stick to 50-90f degree weather with little to no rain.

For your temperature range I would recommend Motoport Kevlar Air Mesh jacket and pants.

They are great for both street and off-road. Extremely tough, yet almost entirely mesh so you get great ventilation when it's hot.

When it's cold you just wear a liner in them or some have pants.

I hit a deer at 60 mph and went flying. I flew and slid a total of 200 ft and only injured my thumb and a quarter sized bruise on my hip.

The Motoport Gear in conjunction with my air-bag vest did an amazing job and I was on my feet within seconds.

On your budget you need to look for the Motoport gear used, but there is a fairly good turnaround of used motoport gear on Advrider.

Here is the video of my crash: 

On 5/20/2017 at 3:39 PM, Fango said:

For your temperature range I would recommend Motoport Kevlar Air Mesh jacket and pants.

They are great for both street and off-road. Extremely tough, yet almost entirely mesh so you get great ventilation when it's hot.

When it's cold you just wear a liner in them or some have pants.

I hit a deer at 60 mph and went flying. I flew and slid a total of 200 ft and only injured my thumb and a quarter sized bruise on my hip.

The Motoport Gear in conjunction with my air-bag vest did an amazing job and I was on my feet within seconds.

On your budget you need to look for the Motoport gear used, but there is a fairly good turnaround of used motoport gear on Advrider.

Here is the video of my crash: 

Uhhh! Wow. I would hit the like button but there is not much to like, except that you are ok. I hate riding at night for that reason. In Kansas deer are like 200# rabbits. 

I hit a deer on mt. St. Helens with my son on the back.. spooky stuff. I think everyone on the street should I have airbag vest. Our motto is "dress for the crash".

• Like 1