'17 300 XC-W Electrical System Load Capacity.

The manual says 110W output from the stator. I have the fan on mine and rode some super tight, rocky sections yesterday. the temperature was probably around 75 degrees. Had the fan running quite a bit. The battery ended up going dead twice, that was the 1st time I had to kick start my bike in the 25 hours I have on it (boohoo)! Unknown if the OEM battery is crap, or the stator doesn't put out as much as KTM claims.

For comparison, my 530 had a 100W trail tech stator in it with the fan, but an 8 cell anti-gravity battery in it. After setting it up that way I never had to kick it once no matter how long I got the fan to run.

My guess is the battery isn't as good so unfortunately I am gonna have to fork over the $160 for the antigravity.

• Like 1

The regulator/rectifier has considerably less output than the stator.  I believe the R/R output is less than 40 W.  The lights run directly off the stator so use AC power.  The battery is charged through the R/R so uses DC power.  The fan requires DC power so will tend to flatten the battery if it runs a lot.  It is likely the thermostat on the fan can be set to turn on at a higher temperature without affecting the operating temperature of the engine.  This will cause the fan to operate less and give the battery time to recharge more quickly so it shouldn't go flat.

Ian

• Like 1

On 5/22/2017 at 6:59 PM, motonack said:

If it comes with the electrical connections from the factory, then yes.

I have been running the TrailTech fan on my '17 300XCW since I got it. Works fine. There is a connection on the factory harness that it simply plugs into. Hardest part of the install is taking off the chamber (which takes 3 minutes) so you can loosen up the radiator.

I've set my thermostat at 180 and it works well. It runs far less than I expected. My 250 XCF overheated all the time. The 300 has far fewer issues

• Like 1