2006 yz125 Did I do good?

So I check Craigslist everyday for project bikes usually blown up needing a top end and cylinder. I buy it cheap enough were I can fix it and flip it to make money. Anyway long story short I bought a 06 yz125 running in really good shape for 1700. I cleaned it up and I'm hoping to make a decent amount of money just flipping it. The guy that sold me the yz125 listed it wrong on Craigslist so you would have to know what to type to find it. When I got to his house he was getting so many calls for the bike and in my area an 05+ sells for at least 2grand. Anyways I wanted to know what you guys think and if any of you on here do what I do to make some extra cash. Iv been doing this for probably 3 years and have always made money. It's all about buying smart and adding up all the expenses. Here is a picture of the bike.

IMG-20170515-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20170515-WA0009.jpg

• Like 1

Yep clean title, runs great and I live in Az around my area they go for 2500 and sell quick. Everyone wants the 06+ and 01-04s sell for like 1200-1700 in my area. I have no clue why but these two strokes are getting expensive.

Yeah here in CO a clean, well-running 06 would easily sell for 2400.  At 2500 you may get talked down a little bit depending on what extras / how clean (i.e. updated plastic).  An 05 is worth considerably less to me and others because of the pre-SSS suspension and the top triple clamp doesn't support oversize bars (and mounts are not removable).

Definitely would make a solid profit on it out here.

• Like 1

Yep I'll start at 2500 and see if I get any bites. The guy listed the ad and I was the first to call. Honestly anything over 2k is easy money all I did was pick it up maybe $20 in gas and wash it.

Post back in here what you wound up selling it for :thumbsup:

Course if it were me and I didn't already own a YZ125, I'd keep it, throw $1k into it, and wring its beautiful little neck.

• Like 1

Haha will do if I didn't have my beautiful ktm250sxf I would definitely keep it. It's crazy because 3 years ago I could buy two strokes so much cheaper but the price is insane right now.

• Like 1

You know what happens more often than not out here, is sellers frauding the real year of the bike.  Literally today there is one posted on CL as a 2005 yet it has a steel frame.

2 hours ago, Tankslap said:

You know what happens more often than not out here, is sellers frauding the real year of the bike.  Literally today there is one posted on CL as a 2005 yet it has a steel frame.

A lot of owners are pretty clueless. I have seen bikes guys claim is one year yet it is obviously older. When pressed, I usually get the response  "But... I bought it BRAND NEW in XXXX, so it is a XXXX", they think the purchase date is the manufacture date.

• Like 2

Ya thats another reason I only buy bikes with titles you can match the VIN number to the title and the title always has the bike model and year.

A lot of owners are pretty clueless. I have seen bikes guys claim is one year yet it is obviously older. When pressed, I usually get the response  "But... I bought it BRAND NEW in XXXX, so it is a XXXX", they think the purchase date is the manufacture date.

I thought a guy was gonna fight me because I complimented his 1991 RM250. He said he just picked it up and it was a 98. I just smiled and said something like good luck and walked away.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, William1 said:

Some may be clueless, but many of them aren't.  Case in point: I checked out a YZ125 being sold as a 2009.  Checked VIN and it turns out it was a 2006 based on the 10th digit.  I then was shown a work order for a suspension revalve done locally in Denver, and I noticed that the year that the owner gave the shop was 2007!  So if I put my detective hat on, the current owner was lied to (or honestly misled?) about it being a 2007, but then he went and knowingly called it a 2009 when he himself thought it was a 2007.  His first words to me were, "How could you tell?".

I actually emailed the guy on CL today about the 2005.  My little PSA to him to prevent an ass beating before he sold it to the wrong guy.  He replied back to me: "Thanks for the info I'll take a peek at the vin ! My buddy gave it to me and that was the year he said it was !" :rolleyes::naughty::thumbsdn::facepalm: Must be nice having buddies that give YZ125s away.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dirtshark808 said:

Ya thats another reason I only buy bikes with titles you can match the VIN number to the title and the title always has the bike model and year.

The YZs have the model year encoded into the VIN itself so you don't even need to cross-reference it with the paperwork.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, William1 said:

I have gotten all sorts of BS year of bikes. Best one was the one I posted in my Resto thread. Tank was a 2002 up, whole rear end was a 2001 down, engine was a 2001 down. Argued about the year and said the air box was off a WR 450, and I had no idea what I was talking about, cyber bullied emails untill I just said a few choice words about desert rats, and then turned it in to CL as abusive emails. 

7 hours ago, Dirtshark808 said:

So I check Craigslist everyday for project bikes usually blown up needing a top end and cylinder. I buy it cheap enough were I can fix it and flip it to make money. Anyway long story short I bought a 06 yz125 running in really good shape for 1700. I cleaned it up and I'm hoping to make a decent amount of money just flipping it. The guy that sold me the yz125 listed it wrong on Craigslist so you would have to know what to type to find it. When I got to his house he was getting so many calls for the bike and in my area an 05+ sells for at least 2grand. Anyways I wanted to know what you guys think and if any of you on here do what I do to make some extra cash. Iv been doing this for probably 3 years and have always made money. It's all about buying smart and adding up all the expenses. Here is a picture of the bike.

IMG-20170515-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20170515-WA0009.jpg

I have no idea what you are talking about in that bold sentence. Make money? Thats a laugh... Make friends, pass your time, and keep 2 strokes alive? Now you are talking...

But then again, there is always the guy that buys for cheap, does noting but clean it off, maybe new plastics/graphics and flips it for a premium. But... does that guy stand behind his work as a true "restoration", or is he a "money grubbing flipper"? IDK, I think guys like that are *^#+=$ holes! 

That's just me tho. You got it for an "average price", and if you just clean it off and sell it for 2-3 hun more....... :facepalm:

Edited by Gary YZDOC
  • Like 2

When I buy a blown up two stroke I fix it like it would be my bike. I clean it put what ever it needs to run for a long time as I want the guy who buys it to enjoy it. As for this bike it's pretty much a quick flip because it's already an amazing bike and it runs great.

Here are some of my other bikes I bought these all needed work done to them like top ends/cylinders/bottom ends and clutch parts. All of these bikes I would of kept and road if I did not have a main bike. It's cool to fix broken abused two strokes and have someone enjoy them again.

The first picture bike I actually road for over a year after I fixed it and it's what started my hobby to fix bikes.

20140923_112323.jpg.13c654ffdd96b48900d888481aea96ac.jpg

20150217_141601.jpg.67a8bab2bf60d12815d44b14dd513825.jpg

20150622_170549.jpg.84aa1750b3a702f45d2c5d9960f22ab0.jpg

20160816_165815.jpg.cfcd1763cb3f28b95745e29ccd325bb6.jpg

20160805_143104.jpg.6a3bc949a77e2c689d9356ff4924575b.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shrubitup said:

Flipping bikes seems to be an old hobby now. Nobody sells them cheap anymore. :cry:

Flipping is NOT restoring. Cheap is what and who you make of it.

Restoration: Remove every part from bike, replace all bolts with correct OEM fasteners, replace wheel bearings, all engine seals, top end (completely if marginal) inspect bottom end, replace mains, grease and/or replace all link bearings, fork seals/bushings and oil, rear shock, rebuild carburator/new vent lines, cables, grips, levers, powder coat frame, plastics, graphics, etc. 500 or less profit. 

If you can't even replace a torn up mud flap, swing arm plugs, and adjust a chain... then the unsuspecting buyer is getting a used washed bike.

I'm sorry, I just have way more passion to restoration and peddling a primo product then buying and flipping I guess. To each his own.

• Like 2

Restoration: Remove every part from bike, replace all bolts with correct OEM fasteners, replace wheel bearings, all engine seals, top end (completely if marginal) inspect bottom end, replace mains, grease and/or replace all link bearings, fork seals/bushings and oil, rear shock, rebuild carburator/new vent lines, cables, grips, levers, powder coat frame, plastics, graphics, etc. 500 or less profit. 
If you can't even replace a torn up mud flap, swing arm plugs, and adjust a chain... then the unsuspecting buyer is getting a used washed bike.
I'm sorry, I just have way more passion to restoration and peddling a primo product then buying and flipping I guess. To each his own.

this is what I'm saying. No matter the price if you fix all its troubles there's little chance of breaking even come sale time.
  • Like 2

I didn't see where he was claiming to have restored anything. And what is wrong with re-selling a bike without powdercoating the frame? There's nothing wrong with selling anything in any condition, as long as it's listed honestly. His buyer is only "unsuspecting" if he was lied to. We've all seen overpriced bikes that never sell; no one can make anyone buy it.

13 hours ago, Gary YZDOC said:

• Like 1

I'm an 18 year old who enjoys fixing and working on dirt bikes. Making a profit when I'm finished with them is just a bonus. I don't restore bikes I just fix them and get them running. I never said I restore bikes. If your the type of guy to buy a bike worth $1500 and put 2grand into a complete restore then good for you. I do this as a fun hobby and to make some extra cash. Haters are always going to hate on their keyboard.

• Like 2