Engine temp

Hi there. I had my bike out for a good rip in the woods today. After I got back to my truck I felt my engine and It was hot but I could keep hand on it forever and the rad cap was little warm. I've never had a 2T  liquid cooled so is this a good temp?I put in that engine ice coolant in. thanks. it was 80deg out

Ktm 150sx 2011

I find the same thing with my 2017 150, which is jetted a little rich. Rich jetting cools the motor too. When I got mine I couldn't understand why there was no fan, but now I'm thinking it's not necessary and you shouldn't let a 2T idle much anyway.

Hey oldtimer.I noticed i have a hard time getting it into 1st. Really have to kick it down a few times to get it in?is that normal

I have several older KTM's 125-380. The 2 strokes don't have much trouble with over-heating unless 1) jetted too lean, 2) run under very heavy load (think long sand hillclimbs) or 3) run without any forward movement or air through the rad (think idling or blocked rad). A 50/50 water/glycol mix is normally preferred especially if you are in an area where freezing temperatures occur. The glycol mixture also lubes the pump seals and prevents corrosion, very important! 

Avoid the "waterless" coolants. They have double the viscosity and half the heat carrying capability. Check their specs! 

My experience with 4 strokes is that they are much more prone to overheating. 

Edited by sbest
  • Like 2

Well the reason the shifter wasn't working the best is it was hitting the frame. I moved it up one move and it shifts flawlessly on the stand.but it moved it up 1 inch. Seems to high when i sit on the bike.Does that seem right " 1 inch move " nothing in between? I wonder if there's aftermarket shifter that have a slight bend to not hit frame?

Edited by Gmc09

When I first got my bike I bought the KTM plastic skid plate. The shifter had to be uncomfortably high not to hit the skid plate when shifting down so I had to trim the plastic skid plate to get the required clearance and have the shifter in a usable location.