NC OHV area in jeopardy

A friend and I rode at Wayehutta OHV park near Cullowee NC recently. When I called the Nantahala Ranger office to give a quick thanks/appreciation for some work being done there, he told me they have some serious challenges. They operate on grant money which has to be matched @ 25% by riding pass sales. Last year they fell short and were in the red and evidently this year is down so far. He stopped short of saying shut down but I got the feeling that it could happen. That would be a huge loss as it is a great place to ride and practice. There are some ideas afloat and letters can be written, but what they really need right now is paying riders and soon to hopefully turn things around.
So I am just asking everyone to pass the word, and if you're going riding or know someone who is to consider trying this place out. It is typical WNC terrain similar to Brown Mtn. but less rocks and little faster. They do not offer camping though. Right now it is still $5. per vehicle! Passes can be bought at the convenience stores listed on website, Caney Fork store and Top Cat grocery.
Thanks for your help.

http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/north_carolina_03413/ride_1b3d.htm

Edited by trailtraks

I can see where your coming from. I ride a lot at Brown Mt. The biggest thing I see, is people riding with no visible paid pass, take it for what it's worth/ When the Ranger was on site more often then you seen more pass's visible. Why would folks want to ruin a good thing? Parking lot is always full on Sat. and Sun. But not like it was 10-12 years ago you couldn't find a spot to park. Economy and price of off road toy's could be the decline in rider's? Thanks for the info. 

You might be right about that. I do remember those days when you were hoping someone wouldn't block you in. There are a few more privately operated parks now, maybe drawing folks away. Anyway, hoping things work out and we don't lose Wayehutta. Been going there for decades, lots of good 'ol times.

Four of us rode 2 strokes there last Monday (two 250 KTM's, GG 200 & KDX 200.) Great place to ride unplated bikes. It has gotten faster in the last 10 years or so, or it seems that way, imo. Because it's two way traffic, including quads, we try to ride early and on weekdays. Monday we had the place to ourselves. For 5 bucks a bike, it's hard to beat.

I wasn't aware of the financial problems, thank you for the heads up on that issue. We'll try to do our part to help out.

RB

Thank you much for your help w/ this and posting.

Yeah I was kinda stunned when the Ranger told me about all that on the phone. I always thought OHV parks had to deal more w/ the problems of overuse.

I think you're right about it being faster these days, many of the trails have really good flow. 

Rode there Sun May 28th. Got there early and only one bike & a couple quads there before us. Rode 24 miles and by the time we   had to pack it in, there were not only side by sides but some kind of 4 seater side by sides. It was bad enough when it was only quads that we had to worry about.  To top it off, it seems to me that the quads use to stop & let the bikes squeeze by, now these big azz side by sides just keep coming.   

My grandson & I enjoyed our ride ('06 KTM 450 EXC & '01 GG XC200), but were glad we were finishing up by the time the heavy metal showed up. 

RB

Best thing to do at Brown Mt to avoid the rat race quads! is to find your way to 3,5,7, once you get past 6 it's all two way. Ease your way down 11 the 2 way and  and down to parking lot on 9 That main 1 to the top is suicide on the week ends after 11am! I know there's some off trails that will illegally sneak you over to 9!!!! No! No!'s 

For 5 bucks a day or 30 bucks for the year you can't beat the price's. Plenty of camping with a store across from the entrance, get your pass and some food also.. 3.5 hours out is a hoot just to go ride. We got a month and a half before they close for the winter ,bummer!

• Like 1

A buddy and rode out in there last week.  For $5 you can't beat it.  An how can they make any money this way??? The parking lot was pretty full and we rarely saw anyone.  It would have been funner but the trails were covered with leaves and it hid the rocks underneath which made for some hairy moments.  One issue is it seems they have to make a run off for the water every 10 feet on some trails.  I know this helps with erosion and keeping the speeds low but it doesn't help with the fun factor.  Other than those few small nothing issues we had a lot of fun.  It would be sad for this place to close down because there are very few places to ride out here in Western NC.