Buying complete aftermarket ECM for 2017 500EXC-F

I see lots of discussion of unlocking the ECM and getting it remapped, but apparently there is no mapping tool that us schmoes can buy easily to adjust the stock ECM. I know there are aftermarket modules you can hook in also..

What about buying a complete, aftermarket ECM and totally replacing the stock ECM to get around having to deal with these issues and having one you can program on your own? Anyone done it?

7 minutes ago, Duzitall said:

Got $700 you wanna part with? http://vortexcdi.com/model_product.php?product=32&model=197&mp_id=3470

Said to work very well.

Well, want to and can afford to are two different things. Looks cool though, I'm seeing if they have one for the 17. It would eliminate any need to send stuff out, get it unlocked, then not be able to adjust the stock ECM even if it's unlocked... (of course, how much adjusting does it really need?)

12 minutes ago, Airboss/oc said:

$800 ? ouch , my oem with a euro works perfectly

I looked at their own Dyno numbers on the Vortex site and it looked like from stock it only gained maybe 2 hp and 2 torque.... if that. To save 800 bucks I can live with 2 less HP. If my stock ECU ever got fried it's nice to know I can just buy an aftermarket though. Better than BMW, where you are screwed.

2 hours ago, kayakingsteve said:

I looked at their own Dyno numbers on the Vortex site and it looked like from stock it only gained maybe 2 hp and 2 torque.... if that. To save 800 bucks I can live with 2 less HP. If my stock ECU ever got fried it's nice to know I can just buy an aftermarket though. Better than BMW, where you are screwed.

Just get yours remapped.....

11 hours ago, KennyMc said:

Just get yours remapped.....

Thinking about it. Found a place that will do it (for closed course only, of course!) :)    I'd still like to see some dyno numbers though before and after euromap...

32 minutes ago, kayakingsteve said:

Thinking about it. Found a place that will do it (for closed course only, of course!) :)    I'd still like to see some dyno numbers though before and after euromap...

Well, to me it wasn't about power gains, it was about a better, cooler running motor.  They are just too lean from the factory.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KennyMc said:

Well, to me it wasn't about power gains, it was about a better, cooler running motor.  They are just too lean from the factory.

I understand the minimalist philosophy KTM has, it's why the bikes are so light. Would be interesting to put a digital coolant temp gauge on there to see. The data is there anyway, would be interested in seeing it. (I'll feel really stupid if it's hidden on the digital display somewhere as an option). Will I burn up my top end riding lots of highway with the jetting the way it is now?

I understand the minimalist philosophy KTM has, it's why the bikes are so light. Would be interesting to put a digital coolant temp gauge on there to see. The data is there anyway, would be interested in seeing it. (I'll feel really stupid if it's hidden on the digital display somewhere as an option). Will I burn up my top end riding lots of highway with the jetting the way it is now?

No, the bike will keep running fine. It's just in the slower, technical stuff the fan would come on more and the bike has a tendency to flame out.