running out of time

I retimed my 93 600 and had a hard time getting it to start and if it did it ran like shit.  I went back and check the timing marks,  they were at 2 and 8 instead of level at 3 and 9.  looking at the cam gear the right side was at 2.  Would this be out of time enough to cause it to run bad?

About this time last year my son and I rebuilt it, a couple of months ago my son drop it and stalled it. long story short, it was out of time. Found a piece of zip tie, I had used to install the cam chain tensioner, had wedged it back and let it jump time.  So I guess I'm also looking for ways in install that tensioner that doesn't require zip ties.  lol I since lapped the valves and check ever thing else I can think of hopefully going back together this weekend 

Edited by tucan
  • Like 1

8 and 2 , the cam is retarded , possibly 2 teeth. 1 tooth should still run unless the chain is worn too. Retarded some should make it rev out better , but you're way off. I run my cam 6* retarded intentionally.  

49 minutes ago, JoeRC51 said:

8 and 2 , the cam is retarded , possibly 2 teeth. 1 tooth should still run unless the chain is worn too. Retarded some should make it rev out better , but you're way off. I run my cam 6* retarded intentionally.  

any hints on installing that tensioner..

Got it back together today.    Fired right up. Thanks for the help guys. 

• Like 2