yz250fx sprocket sizes to tame the beast

Im looking to tame my 2015 yz250fx. I have installed the throttle tamer with the 400 cam and remaped it.... still looking for a reduced jump on the throttle.... Has anyone played with sprocket sizes to help tame this beast in the lower gears....

Why tame the "beast" haha it's a 250 it's tame enough anyway

• Like 5

Well im not sure how old you are....( i just retired son ) i bought the bike because of the suspension and i got a smoken deal... i just find it a bit abrupt in 1st and second when in single track... i have only ridden it for about 4 hrs so maybe its just a matter of getting acustomed to it...coming from a 16hp crf to a yzfx was a big jump... i only trail ride...no racing...

5 hours ago, basmn said:

Well im not sure how old you are....( i just retired son ) i bought the bike because of the suspension and i got a smoken deal... i just find it a bit abrupt in 1st and second when in single track... i have only ridden it for about 4 hrs so maybe its just a matter of getting acustomed to it...coming from a 16hp crf to a yzfx was a big jump... i only trail ride...no racing...

Hi!

Just try to ride it like it is, give it 20h atleast.

I'm sure you will get used to it eventually.

I came of a carbed 450 and the throttle response of the 250 bugged me a little at first. Now I've got 15h on the bike and don't even notice it anymore.

If you mostly trail ride, look into a heavier flywheel.

Going +12 ounces on my CRF250X completely transformed it, making the engine much more tractable and practically stall proof in the worst conditions.

I have 100 hours on mine and really the only thing you can do is get the gytr power tuner and put a less aggressive map in the bike (gytr has a preset list of maps you can go off of) and put a rekluse clutch in it. 1st gear is useless in that bike 13/50 gearing and it pulls nice and smooth in the woods. 

I bought my 2015 slightly used, guy had a G2 quick turn put in it !

G2 400 and the smooth linear map made it just right. With those changes and seat time ( still -100 hrs) it has become pretty manageable. Even using more agressive mapping isn't an issue now. I think about messing with the sprockets but sometimes that granny gear is nice to have. Last stupid thing, make sure your throttle cable slack is in spec ( I think 3mm). Mine was very slack and with the snappyness it made for a nasty on off on off thing that was hard to manage in slow rough stuff.

Just ride it, you get used to it. It bugged me at first but now it's actually a trait I like because I can use it to pop the wheel up when needed. I like that it wants to explode forward just off idle, use it to your advantage. 

I think the stock gearing is on point. Personally, I just avoid 1st gear. It's too short for anything but trials riding. Keep it in 2nd for the slow stuff and use the clutch.

GYTR hard hitting map is my preferred. I don't like the soft map, way too much throttle input required to accelerate. 

Edited by Kosmic
  • Like 1

Well i got the hang of it ....i just keep my thumb on thr throttle cable housing.  it helps to modulate the throttle and eliminates the sudden unwanted openings when hitting the bumps.. staying away from 1st gear helps also....man is this bike powerfull....

On 5/18/2017 at 10:14 AM, basmn said:

Same problem I had to quiick, just do the trottle cam you will get use to it, probably to tall and suspension is to stiff to? I run 115mm race sag and forks raised 10mm to lower it. rear is ok but fork were stiff so I changed some base shims around and the bike is great now. I changed the clutch steel plates and makes it much much better, starts in gear better to and you can push it in gear better

Edited by paulie1960