Sign in to follow this  

redline idle on first kick

i have a 2002 Honda cr250r,

it had sat all last year due to busy life, while it was in my garage/storage i would rotate the kick starter every other month so the piston could move and rotate the crank.

today i took it out cleaned it up, changed the crank oil, new coolant, fresh plug, put in fresh mixed gas, cleaned the carb and put a moose rebuild kit in changing all jets and needle.

where i ride i am exactly as it is from the factory so all settings are where they should be per the manual.

the problem i am having that as soon as i kick it over it revs to the moon! i have to hit the kill switch right away. 

i have tried adjusting the idle screw but it is almost all the way backed out, and the air screw is 1 1/2 turns out almost 1 3/4 out.

i have checked and the carb boots are attached and there not torn or rotted, air filter is clean and sealed up in the box, i took the carb out because when i turned on the gas it poured out of the overflow tube so that is when i put in the moose carb rebuild kit. i checked the throttle cable it is not tight and i can hear the slide moving up and down. i did have trouble taking the cable off when changing the needle so maybe the spring is weak? kinda doubt it though. i do need to get new carb vent tubes because mine are getting on in age and are stiff but this would not cause it would it?

so any ideas where to look and start i would appreciate, so i can start tearing back into it.

I had this same issue, fortunately for me it was my throttle cable, it can appear to be working correctly but just to be sure, and eliminate that issue I would check the slide on the carburetor with the airbox removed and double check it functions properly. If that checks out it could be a air leak from somewhere, possible crank seals?? I would do a leak down test after checking the throttle cable as it only takes a couple minutes and tells a lot about the engine.

ya, you could start it on the stand without air box or silencer. Wear ear plugs lol but at least you'll be able to see if the slide closes all the way or not.