87 RM250 Disassembly Questions

Anyone have any idea how to remove the swingarm pivot shaft? I was able to remove the nut on the shifter side but cannot figure out what to do next. Do I hammer it off? Does it unscrew through the engine?

Next, I removed the radiator shrouds from the tank sides but was not able to get any of the four mounting botls out of the tank. I had to cut away the shrouds and pull them off. Should the four bolts unbolt away from the tank? Any tips on how to get them out?

I'm trying to disassemble the machine for a complete restore (my first restore attempt) and ran into these issues. Any help would be appreciated!

The swing arm bolt would slide out with a little force, but id bet that its seized so likely you'll have to soak it in a can of liquid wrench, heat and cool the bolt, and hammer it out with a ton of force. 

The bolts should unbolt, they are likely seized

Thank you, TT. I put a soak of PB Blaster on the pivot and will let that work in for a few hours.

Man, I found out some good info on this bike. It's actually an 88 and not an 87! I'd like to run the VIN numbers (frame and engine) but can't seem to find a site that can list the info I want. Anyone happen to know of one?

Frame VIN: JS1RJ14A 4J2100955

Engine VIN: J106-105650

What information are you looking for exactly? 

the 10th number (j) designates year so it is a 88, as you know

The PB Blaster loosened the pivot bolt but I still couldn't get it to go through and out! I had top Dremel off the headed side and tap it out the other way. The bolt must have been slightly bent in there. I also managed to crack the friggin swingarm metal by pounding on the bolt. I'll be looking on eBay for a replacement I suppose!

The joys of a 30 year rebuild!