Float valve seat is stuck inside carb

I recently had the issue with a leaky petcock and stuck float valve. I purchased a new petcock and valve assembly (needle/oring/seat), have the carb all apart, and can't for the life of me get this valve seat out.

I've tried warming it with a hair dryer, flash freezing it with upside down compressed air, and yanking with needle nose plyers.. but it will just not budge. Have you guys experienced this or can you offer any insight into how I can get this thing out?

ValveSeatStuck.jpg

Edited by Rekmore

ha! I had the SAME EXACT question about a month ago..... HERE -> Dont mind the typo in the thread name, BSR36 not BRS36 ? 

I ended up getting a set of the small needle nose vice grips from autozone and used those. The real trick is to TWIST it with carb cleaner or penetrating lube soaking down into the crack around that seat.

Once i got it to wiggle a bit, it started to move more and more and push black shit out of the crack around the seat. Finally i was able to get it to swing a full 360* and it pulled out with one more good tug. The above worked for me after 4x days of messing with it. (PS may have used some heat as well to loosen things up when i was spinning it around)

Edited by RC_ichard

I was able to pickup a pair of cheap long nose vice grips for $8, the nose was a little to big to fit inside the valve seat, but once filed down they slid right in and the seat came out pretty quickly. Thanks again!

IMG_2095.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I am having this same issue... darn thing won't budge, the top brass lip is really chewed up at this point and there's not a lot (externally) to grab.  Any other ideas on how to pull the valve seat out?  I have been wondering if anyone's tried 'tapping' threads into the brass or screwing a screw in and yanking...?

On a few things that were stuck I've ground a piece of square stock , hex or triangle(file) to sharp edges that kind of grabs (extractor works but if you don't have one that fits good)  and push down while twisting slowly , don't pound it in that expands the soft brass and makes it tighter. Never had to use something like that on one of these , they've all came out with pliers.  Kroil penetrate or ATF and acetone mixture to seep down and help loosen it .

Edited by jjktmrider

Achieved partial success - float valve now spins freely within its bore, but refuses to be extracted.  

I used a dremel to cut slots into the upper lip of the float valve and then used a large flat head screwdriver to turn the part loose. 

Even though it now spins 360-deg freely, something is still holding it within the bore.  I think maybe some old, built up gunk behind the o-ring. 

Next step: PB blaster or similar penetrant and I hope it'll finally give.  This thing has been frustrating me for the past 4 days!

It's just the o-ring probably under a small ledge of dried up gas . Grab it good with a needle nose pliers Needle nose ViseGrips work good for this stuff) and pull out while twisting back and forth . With o-ring now being hardened from age and fuel it doesn't squish to get past imperfection so brute force is needed .

Edited by jjktmrider

On 11/21/2018 at 10:26 AM, dtys said:

Achieved partial success - float valve now spins freely within its bore, but refuses to be extracted.  

I used a dremel to cut slots into the upper lip of the float valve and then used a large flat head screwdriver to turn the part loose. 

Even though it now spins 360-deg freely, something is still holding it within the bore.  I think maybe some old, built up gunk behind the o-ring. 

Next step: PB blaster or similar penetrant and I hope it'll finally give.  This thing has been frustrating me for the past 4 days!

Slide hammer and sheet metal screw.
Do this a few times a month on this and like carbs.

screw appropriately sized screw into the seat, give the slide hammer a few bangs, throw junk seat in trash.

If your really bored , you can run a tap into the seat, thread in a screw, and then pull it out with slide  hammer or what have you.

But in the time it took to type this out, the seat could have already been out using a slide hammer and sheet metal screw. 

This is not an uncommon carb I get stuck with working on

image.png.33286157b630fcc58f1864c2590b4f60.png

• Haha 1

Valve finally popped out!  I used a metal screw, screwed it into the valve bore to provide more grip for pulling for the vise grips.  That still didn't work so I used some PB blaster and it gave on second try.

From what I could tell, it was just built up gunk behind the o-ring... as expected. 

Thanks for the help guys! 

• 3 years later...

Hi  all.

I came here after having the first one loose enough to rotate, but being unable to extract it, Thanks for all the suggestions, which helped me get them all out.

I realised I could use the fact that they are stuck to tap an M6 thread into the remaining stuck ones, because they would not even rotate. Then I used a hex headed bolt to get them to rotate, using some kroil and grabbing the seat with pliers when needed. Once they would  I rotate I removed the hex bolt. Then I used an M6 screw with a rather large head and with 2 pry bars (or screw drivers), each leaning a the nearby pillar and to pull them out without too much effort (not to break the pillars). 

Thanks again, it really helped me a lot.

Rob