Who has the most hours on their 300rr?

Just wondering... I rack on a lot of hours (300/year) so am wondering about the longevity of this engine. I know KTM 250s/300s can go 500 hours before needing a replate and the crank tends to last even longer (unless raced). It seems like there isn't much info about BEtas so far. Everyone says they're reliable and all that, but I've mainly read reports from people with under 200 hours on them. Piston life seems good: Beta calls for 60 hours to a piston but most seem to get 85-120 which is in line with other manufacturers. 

So wondering how many pistons you long-termers have on your bikes. Who has the most hours/km on their bike? Post your "stats"!

Any issues/difficulties when changing the piston or as simple as any other smoker? I notice they have service manuals on their website which is great. Very detailed. Just curious about crank and cylinder longevity (how many pistons/hours before the cylinder would need a replate). 

[Edit]I ask because there's a beta 2016 300rr with 60 hours for sale near my place. Owner is the beta dealer who is getting a 2017 (or 2018?).

Edited by Bitteeinbit
  • Like 1

I recently sold my 2015 Beta 300 Xtrainer after I bought a new 2017 300RR. 

My xtrainer had 425 hrs on the clock and was still running great.  I replaced the first piston and ring set at 200hrs, I replaced the 2nd piston and ring set at 375hrs.  At that time the cylinder was still looking good and all was good regarding the crank and rod.

• Like 5

That's excellent! I'm assuming you didn't ride the Xtrainer as hard as you will the rr? They seem to be for trials-like riding with mushy suspension and ergonomics at speed. Am I right in assuming you weren't exactly on the pipe much?

I'm an aggressive rider and at first thought Betas wouldn't be my cup of tea. I like jerky hits like perky 2-strokes or my old WR450. However, I've read the 300 is no slouch and thatthe suspension handles nicely at speed,. I test rode a Beta 350 and I immediately understoof what everyone is saying about "smoothness". Smooth, but in a good way. I could see myself getting used to a smooth motor, especially if I can fan the clutch in third to get her flying again like I'm hoping the 300 will. 

How's your 17 300? 

• Like 1

'13 300RR.  Just converted to a 250 with over 300 hrs.  Approx  200 hrs on first top, 100 on the one I just removed, both well within spec.  300 bore looks perfect, rod in spec (like new), clutch fine.  Trail and race at A/B level.  Good filter care and plenty of oil.  If it didn't suck dirt or water or get hot for some reason it should be good to go. Solid motor. 

You might like the 250.

Edited by GP
  • Like 2

Replaced piston in 2015 300rr at 90-hrs.  Piston still well within spec (did not need a new one)..ring end gap, just on service limit.  Ride tight sandy trails mostly and ride winter through to summer -10f to  80 F, rarely do I find an open area big enough to "scream it".   Best bike I have ever had and I've had over 50.  Never did ride a 300 xc, or xcw, but I do have the 2012 sx250, rigged for woods.

Edited by bikedad1

I only have ~160 hours on my 16 300rr and i changed the piston at the 150hr mark with just a little bit of piston skirt wear, absolutely no wear on the cylinder/crank/rod yet but this is trail riding with friends not racing.  The ring end gap was still well within spec(.0004 i believe??).

I usually see around 25MPG on tight single track and around 15MPG in some more WOT stuff(SAND).  

As for the power, i think you can tune it to be as aggressive as you want.  Play with the power valve and add on a MX style exhaust and i think you'll thoroughly enjoy the bike.

Edited by k4f5x0r

On 5/18/2017 at 2:44 PM, bikedad1 said:

Replaced piston in 2015 300rr at 90-hrs.  Piston still well within spec (did not need a new one)..ring end gap, just on service limit.  Ride tight sandy trails mostly and ride winter through to summer -10f to  80 F, rarely do I find an open area big enough to "scream it".   Best bike I have ever had and I've had over 50.  Never did ride a 300 xc, or xcw, but I do have the 2012 sx250, rigged for woods.

Are you running OI?  I ask because my ring end gap was virtually new @ 200hrs, in fact I kept the parts for reference.  Bike was raced hard and trail ridden, but, premix @ 36:1. 

Edit: never mind I see its a '15, sorry.

Edited by GP

23 hours ago, Bitteeinbit said:

Awesome! Great endorsement for Beta. Now... What mileage can you get? Seems like 40-50 miles on a stock tank is standard? 

I went from a Lectron (35is mpg) to a 38mm Kehein Airstyker and now get 25ish mpg, and the increase in performance is worth it. I have the IMS 3.1 gallon tank and for most rides I don't hafta worry, but will carry a liter of fuel if I think I'm gonna need it...so far so good (meaning i haven't needed it yet).

Since we are all beta guys...I'll throw this one out.   If I use the recommended jetting settings on the beta charts, they are pretty good on the N2ZW needle from 21-60 F at 2500 feet.  It finally warmed up here, so I switched to the next recommended needle N2ZJ (stock specs at 50-75F) and its a tad rich.  Bike would load up on the tight stuff (lots of first gear and low low revs in second)...and take some clearing out.  Made the bike feel like a POS when you hit a sudden steep bit.  I forgot this lesson from last year, so I lowered the needle one clip and its nice and crisp again.  But Its been my experience that its a bit lean if you are "screaming around" or expecting to ride relatively fast.   I've found that this loading issue on the recommended jetting is only really a problem when your riding very slow, many riders would probably never notice if they were not on the right terrain.  Once your into the lower temp ranges the n2zw gives me no issues during the slow sections.

Edited by bikedad1