After a crash

What do u check after a crash? I just fell really hard on the pipe.... broke my brake lever, plastic, and busted up my elbow. Not to mention I didn't even get a chance to clean my bike after I rode because of it. Believe me, I've fell many, MANY times,
But am scared I missed something on my bike. It rode weird after it. No brake disks or chain/sprocket bent though. When I was in the ditch getting it out. Not Erving it really high or anything in first gear it backfires. It is not lean and never did this before.

Losen all the bolts on your forks (a little not a lot) & make sure everything is aligned properly.  Make sure your bars are straight. If it backfired after the crash I am gonna guess that is nothing to worry about unless it keeps backfiring. 

Backfiring?  You mentioned something about hitting the pipe.  Check to make sure it is still seated properly at the head/cyl.  A bad seal will cause the engine to suck in cold air and backfire.

11 hours ago, S-L-C said:

What do u check after a crash? I just fell really hard on the pipe.... broke my brake lever , plastic, and busted up my elbow. Not to mention I didn't even get a chance to clean my bike after I rode because of it. Believe me, I've fell many, MANY times,
But am scared I missed something on my bike. It rode weird after it. No brake disks or chain/sprocket bent though. When I was in the ditch getting it out. Not Erving it really high or anything in first gear it backfires. It is not lean and never did this before.

If you damaged the pipe and now have an exhaust leak you could now be running lean. Same on the intake side, if you have a leak or a disrupted a seal down stream of the carb/throttle body, you're now running lean. If you're carb'd you might want to check that your floats aren't stuck. How is the bike riding funny? Just the backfiring? Does it back fire on decel (when you let off), does it back fire while you're on the gas or both?

As already mentioned, loosen up your forks and make sure everything is true. I find that this is easier done without the bars on. If your bars are tweaked a little it makes everything else look off when it might not be. While your bars are off, get yourself a flat level surface and check the dimensions of the bars. Make sure they're still symmetrical or if you're OCD look up the dimensions of your specific bar bend and verify those. Check that you didn't tweak or break your subframe, check for cracked welds or indications of stress, check that wheels are still true-ish, check swing arm bushings and other pivots/bushings. This is basically what I do after a HARD crash, not after every crash. I crash all the time but 9/10 times I pop right back up, bike is still running, pick it up, test brakes and how it rides real quick and then i'm back at it.

If you damaged the pipe and now have an exhaust leak you could now be running lean. Same on the intake side, if you have a leak or a disrupted a seal down stream of the carb/throttle body, you're now running lean. If you're carb'd you might want to check that your floats aren't stuck. How is the bike riding funny? Just the backfiring? Does it back fire on decel (when you let off), does it back fire while you're on the gas or both?
As already mentioned, loosen up your forks and make sure everything is true. I find that this is easier done without the bars on. If your bars are tweaked a little it makes everything else look off when it might not be. While your bars are off, get yourself a flat level surface and check the dimensions of the bars. Make sure they're still symmetrical or if you're OCD look up the dimensions of your specific bar bend and verify those. Check that you didn't tweak or break your subframe, check for cracked welds or indications of stress, check that wheels are still true-ish, check swing arm bushings and other pivots/bushings. This is basically what I do after a HARD crash, not after every crash. I crash all the time but 9/10 times I pop right back up, bike is still running, pick it up, test brakes and how it rides real quick and then i'm back at it.

It backfired when i was on the gas. It felt funny cause it felt like I needed more gas to go.

Backfire is usually a lean condition, as a lot have said, check your pipe for an exhaust leak.

As for an after crash fork tweak, it's not the end of the world, or ride. Grab the front wheel between your knees, grab the bar, and yank it back in the direction it needs to go to straighten it out. You can most of the time get it to pop back into near enough alignment to keep going. When you get home you can take the clamps loose and get it perfect, but the trail side realignment will get you through the rest of the day. :thumbsup:

Edited by OLHILLBILLY

1 minute ago, S-L-C said:

It backfired when i was on the gas. It felt funny cause it felt like I needed more gas to go.

Check your exhaust connections. I just loosen everything up, jiggle it around and retighten. See if that solves the problem. Then check your intake side for leaks. I just spray carb & choke all around the intake side (not in the airbox or into the filter tho) with the bike running, if idle goes up you have a leak, inspect and fix from there. See if that does it. Then check and/or reset floats on carb, floats can get stuck. See if that helps. 

• Like 1

First thing I check is the family jewels, then I check for broken shit on the bike