Bought the new 2017 ktm 450sxf Factory Edition

Hey everyone,

Just bought the brand new 2017 ktm 450sxf Factory Edition. It's still in the box and has to be built, so I don't pick it up until the 30th. Can anyone give me any pros and cons on this beauty? Yes it's expensive but it'll rip, and so many options that come standard on it. Thanks in advance!

I just bought one as well.  okay, like 3 weeks ago, but it still feels new to me. Great bike so far. This is my first KTM. Make sure to chime in from time to time on how you're liking the bike.  Don't forget to post some pics!

Edited by KTMrider37

I just bought one as well.  okay, like 3 weeks ago, but it still feels new to me. Great bike so far. This is my first KTM. Make sure to chime in from time to time on how you're liking the bike.  Don't forget to post some pics!

For sure bro! Thanks for the input, did you make any changes to it? You have the factory edition??

This will be my first thumper, I have an 06 ktm 250sx as well. Don't really know the thumpers all that well, wondering about what to do with valves after break in. I'm sure there's a thread about it somewhere around here though!

• Like 1

I'm sure others will chime in. This is my first KTM.  But I have had several 450's.  I make a habit of checking the valves every 15 hours. In the past I've been very fortunate and haven't had to make very many adjustments. I'm not sure what to expect from the KTM, but I'm sure it's right on Par or better than my Japanese bikes, and they all did pretty well by me..

There's a specific tolerance you're looking for.  I'm not sure if our manuals tell us or if we need to find a service manual. I'll have to check. Checking them is fairly easy with a good set of feeler gauges. adjusting/shimming them is slightly more difficult and requires a little bit of math, but nothing you should shy away from.  Assuming that most dirt bike rides are able to turn a wrench, you'll be fine.

An old filter rubber grommet over the top of the AF filter cage will keep filters from tearing...or just make sure no sharp edges.

Get a TPS jumper harness and check your voltage, especially if you are getting lean deceleration popping. Lots of threads on here and elsewhere about this. Can also improve starting. Good ballpark is somewhere between .58-.63 at sea level. If you go aftermarket exhaust, def tune this.

The yellow starter knob goes in for cold starts and pull OUT for riding (backwards from jap brands). If all your cables and throttle tube is clean, rolling the throttle and letting it go will pop the knob out from in. I just do it manually, but a nice "if you forget" feature.

Stock exhaust hard to beat IMO, but sucks when you have to remove the shock. Good luck! I cut out the screen, seemed a little snappier off idle.

Play around with maps, and the quick turn throttle cam (should be included or buy set of odi grips). Personally I like stock gearing for MX.

There are six rubber dampers in the clutch, they can start to go at around 30 hrs. Super inexpensive and easy to replace.

Don't bother trying to find neutral while running!

Play around with fork height, they are 12mm longer than 4cs, so need to be way up.

The bar mount isn't the strongest, consider aftermarket like Ride eng.

Bolt under fender exhaust side with alum washer likes to come loose - locktite.

Basically what you have is a bad ass race machine, enjoy it!!

• Like 1