How to Install Drz400 S speedometer on 2001 drz 400 E

It would be as simple as buying an S model speedo drive, cable, and speedo. But to drive the speedo, the hub needs to have these two "teeth" which spin the speedo drive. If your wheels don't have this you might be able to swap the front hub to an S. This is not the best picture but you can see the "teeth" on the hub.

post-85484-0-14465800-1392284267.jpg.e46c9212ad78c3ce8a296da7698fa864.jpg

Or you could get a Trailtech. It has more info, more lightweight, more accurate speed, and possibly cheaper.

Edited by HansLanda
  • Like 2

On my 04 KDX: the small odometer already has a cable to the front hub. I used an ATK speedo-, just used the same cable-works fine. Wired the speedo light to the harness, so that works too. 

Sorry, I’m not familiar with the s-model. But if it’s cable driven, you should be all set. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bumtarder said:

You need to get an entire S model wire harness for your E.It has the electrical connectors for the display back lighting,odometer,neutral light,signals and hi-low beam.Basically you want to get similar to a Australian E model harness.

The drz employs a electronic digital cluster.

Yeah forgot about the power to the cluster. Sounds like Trailtech would be easier.