Chain and Sprockets for Off-road Riding

Hey guys, 

I have a 2007 YZ450F that I purchased a few months ago, and it's time for the chain and sprockets to be replaced. The previous owner put a pretty cheap set of sprockets and chain on it, so between it's lack of quality and his previous riding, it's time to change them up. That being said, I'm at a loss for what chain and sprocket combo to go with. 

From searching older threads I see the Regina ORN6 chain and Ironman sprockets are very highly recommended, but I can't seem to find the Regina chain for sale anywhere (or it's MSR analogue). Is the Regina ORN6 discontinued?

I ride about 75% woods/trail/bush roads and 25% track, so I'm looking for a chain and sprocket combo that is going to be tough rather than light. I'm no professional, I'm not going to notice a difference in chain and sprocket weight within reason. My riding exposes it to a lot of varied conditions and loads, and also tons of mud and dust.  The time I spend at the track isn't too serious either, just amateur practice and rec racing. We don't compete very hard at all?

What style of chain is more appropriate for my style of riding? O-ring, X-ring, z-ring, etc? What are good recommended chains and sprockets? 

Also, does anyone have a good site to order the recommended chain and sprockets from in Canada?

Thank you for the help!

RK 520EXW chains are really good too. I've had very good luck with Pro Taper sprockets. A lot of off road guys bash aluminum rear sprockets but I've gotten 60-80 hours out of a set of RK chain and Pro Taper Sprockets on a 450 riding and racing offroad. Just don't get cheap aluminum sprockets cause they will not last as long as a good chain. 

I ordered a "Primary Drive" x-ring chain a couple years ago, and it' still holding up really good.  I really haven't noticed any difference when I changed over from the original chain which I think was DID.  I'm pretty sure I'll order the same brand next time I'm up for a new chain if the price is still significantly cheaper than the RK, DID, etc.

DID, like most companies, makes a range of products that runs from excellent down to near junk, which is what the OEM YZ chains are.  Don't draw conclusions about the chain only from its brand name.

That said, I was getting about 18 months or better of desert racing and recreational service out of Regina (aka MSR) ORN6 O-ring chains, replacing them when they reached 1.6% longer than new length.  I ran TAG metals hard anodized rear sprockets, and they usually lasted through two chains.  It's worn chains that cause rapid rear sprocket wear, not the other way around.  Front sprockets will wear much faster because there are so many fewer teeth to share the load. I replaced them with each chain, and used mid priced stuff like Pro-Circuit for those.

Had great success with DID O ring/x ring over the years in sandy conditions.

Just picked up a DID VX-2 variant too replace the DID x ring I "borrowed" off the YZ too get my combine harvester going in a pinch LOL.

Like Grayracer mentions, the standard DID chain that came on my YZ450 new in 2003 was junk, stretched beyond the moon, trashed the sprockets within several hours of riding. Stretched so fast it was rubbing sub frame and mudflap before I could get back in for some tools. That set hit the trash can very fast.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2017 at 5:55 PM, Maiphut said:

Just picked up a DID VX-2 variant too replace the DID x ring I "borrowed" off the YZ too get my combine harvester going in a pinch LOL.

Hahaha, you gotta do you what you gotta do sometimes!

Thanks for all the help guys! I ended up going with a DID VT2 X-ring, a Sunstar steel 13T countershaft sprocket, and an MSR 41Hundred Series 50T rear sprocket. 

I also took grayracer's earlier advice and ordered a good chain alignment tool?

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/17/2017 at 7:18 PM, hcdmn said:

you will not find a longer lasting and economical setup than a Rocky Mountain Primary Drive X-ring chain and Yamaha OEM sprockets.  You'll get at least 40 hours out of this setup - more if you stay out of the mud.  Us WD on the chain after every powerwash.

40 hrs isn't very long. We tried one of the x China chains and it didn't last long. 

Whatever DID chain that comes from the factory and factory steel sprockets are crazy durable. And I agree, power wash chain after each ride then spray liberally with wd40 and wipe off excess. 3200 miles chain and sprockets look like new.