Got a new rear tire, super knobby. Having issues when riding after putting it on. At no point did I feel I was in control of the bike, it was absolutely no fun to ride yesterday. Is this normal when putting on a new really knobby tire?   Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Sounds similar to what I'm experiencing lately.

Installed a new Maxxis IT rear tire and since feel an occasional 'wobble' in the rear,

even perceptible at very low speeds (5MPH) either on a flat surface or in rough terrain.

Pretty much the same feeling as  a flat tire, loose spokes, loose wheel/swingarm bearings etc.

but up to now everything mechanical checks out fine. (tire at 14psi)

I did also install a 2nd rim rock over winter but figure an unbalance would be more apparent in an 'radial' (up/down) way

rather than this 'side-to-side' axial wobble feeling.

Bike is a CRF250X mostly ridden in slow technical rocky trails, but issue doesn't seem to get any worse the faster I go (forestry roads)

Edited by mlatour

34 minutes ago, mlatour said:

Sounds similar to what I'm experiencing lately.

Installed a new Maxxis IT rear tire and since feel an occasional 'wobble' in the rear,

even perceptible at very low speeds (5MPH) either on a flat surface or in rough terrain.

Pretty much the same feeling as  a flat tire, loose spokes, loose wheel /swingarm bearings etc.

but up to now everything mechanical checks out fine. (tire at 14psi)

I did also install a 2nd rim rock over winter but figure an unbalance would be more apparent in an 'axial' (up/down) way

rather than this 'side-to-side' wobble feeling.

Bike is a CRF250X mostly ridden in slow technical rocky trails, but issue doesn't seem to get any worse the faster I go (forestry roads)

Tire pressure is much too high.  I'm running a similar tire, Kenda Parker DT, I run both ends at 11.

5 hours ago, RideAfrica1 said:

Got a new rear tire, super knobby. Having issues when riding after putting it on. At no point did I feel I was in control of the bike, it was absolutely no fun to ride yesterday. Is this normal when putting on a new really knobby tire?   Thanks in advance.

What is a "super knobby"? What tire (actual brand/type), air pressure, bike, trail/track conditions, etc.. No, it's not normal. Did you put way too much air in it, or is it flat? All we have here is that you put some unknown tire on some unknown bike and are having some unknown problem riding some unknown conditions.. 

29 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Tire pressure is much too high.  I'm running a similar tire, Kenda Parker DT, I run both ends at 11.

Rim and pinch flat protection is a concern, reason for the higher psi.

First few local shake down rides I had it to 12psi, traction was great but had that weird low speed wobble.

At 14psi I still get a decent tire 'bulge', good traction but can't say the wobble is any worse than is was at 12psi.

I've gone overkill after getting a flat last season and realize the 2nd rim lock and Ultra Heavy Duty tube doesn't favor good balance

but I find it's too apparent at low speeds to be related. Going out to the shop now to triple check everything again.

RideAfrica1 (the OP) I realized I hijacked your thread...

hopefully some of this discussion is helpful to you as well. 

Have you checked if the tire bead is seated properly all the way around the rim?

Edited by mlatour

I had a Dunlop 95something about 6 years ago do that.

It was a deformed tire. You could see it when you put the bike on the stand and spin the wheel. The knob pattern would shift side to side a little.

49 minutes ago, wielywilly-g said:

I had a Dunlop 95something about 6 years ago do that.

It was a deformed tire. You could see it when you put the bike on the stand and spin the wheel. The knob pattern would shift side to side a little.

Artrax tires are notorious for this kind of crap.  Their beads never seat properly.  Yes, I admit to trying those garbage tires a few years ago.