KTM 2017 250 sxf Factory Edition

Hello Everyone:

New member here.  I took the plunge and purchased my first KTM last night.  I am coming off of a 2010 Honda CRF-250.  I have always been a Yamaha and Honda guy so this is a big jump for me.  It just looks like this is the 250f to buy right now.  The technology is incredible.  I can't wait to get her in the dirt.  I am anxious to get the set up process started so please feel free to share any tips that you might have.

RIDE SAFE!

• Like 2

I have 18.2 hours on my 2017 250sxf FE. Dropped one tooth on the front sprocket, haven't revalved suspension yet but I will. I ride MX only 205 lbs. I run 150 psi in the fork, 48nm rear spring ( a bit stiff) 105 sag. 

Bike is fantastic, my only concerns are on overjump slapdowns it's harsh and sometimes get headshake  on hardpack so I'm at line #1 on the forks and in a perfect world I would like to be on line #3. 

I let others try my bike and they agree it is fantastic!  You will love yours. 

• Like 1

Ok.  So far so good.  I have had the bike at the track 2 times and I have just under 3 hours on the bike.  I am really starting to enjoy this machine.  I ride MX only and I am 172 pounds without gear.  I am a vet B rider with good ground speed and jumping ability.

The shock seems to be very compliant.  It just seems to do what it is supposed to do with no issues.  I set it to stock compression and rebound, ran 108 of sag.  I do not want to say magical yet.  I just do not feel it doing anything wrong. High Speed at 2 to 2.25 out.  

The forks were a little harder to dial in.  I ended dropping the air pressure down to 140 psi.  Then it was still a little harsh.  As the fork broke in, I started to come way out on the compression.  I am currently at 19 out.  Believe it or not it has not bottomed either.  Once I got out to about 14 - 15 the bike really started to settle in and not beat me up.  The flip side to the fork that I have learned is it is very sensitive to rebound changes.  I feel the fork rebounds much quicker than my Yamahas or Hondas do.  I learned after the fact that this could have caused some of the initial harshness I was feeling in the fork.  The sweet spot right for me right now seems to be at 15-16 out on the rebound.  At 16 on the rebound, the bike seemed to be very compliant and getting closer to that magical feel.  I will keep everyone posted as I think this weekend will be only slight tweaks to really get it where I like it.

I will admit that handling wise the bike turns beautifully under power.  I did have to set the forks on the first line from the top.  I was on line 2 and the bike was knifing way too much.  For me, line 1 seems to be the way to go.  The handling is instinctual.  You think about the line and the bike just goes.  Very happy so far.

Power wise, there is not much to say.  The bike is a beast.  I did switch to a 13t front sprocket.  14t was too tall.  The bike just makes power as long as you are on the gas.  It is amazing.  The bike may not have the grunt way down low like the current 250f Yamahas or the older 250f Kawasaki's, but it more than makes up for it as you hit the mid and the top just continues to pull forever.  That said, I have zero trouble clearing obstacles right out of turns.  I think it has a strong bottom end, it just does not shine like to mid and top. 

This is my first adventure with a KTM and I would say so far the bike has exceeded my expectations.  I think there is a lot more potential that I have not even tapped into yet.  This overall package is so strong it is hard to believe it is a stock bike.  I have heard someone say this is the factory bike for the masses.  I am starting to believe it.

Please share your set up tips.  I am looking to learn and experiment as much as possible with this bike.  It is going to be a fun summer!!

Until next time, Ride Safe Everyone!!

FJP

• Like 2

OK guys...I am back.  6.2 hours on the bike now.  I feel like I have the front forks working great.  I settled on 138 psi in fork.  C20, R15, forks on 1st line.  20 out felt a little vague but going in on the rebound a few clicks really made a huge difference.

The back is not where I want to be yet.  Actually, the back does not do anything too funny no matter what settings I try.  The biggest problem right now is that It seems like the bike is taking too long to settle into corners when turning.  I am experimenting between 108-110 mm of sag.  I saw a set up in Motocross Action mag that went C15, R10 HS 2.0.  I tried that and as I said, the bike tracks well but turning is not so great yet.  It is not horrible, I just know it can get better.  If anyone has any shock settings that they love, PLEASE feel free to share.

The motor....Amazing.  Enough said.  I am mostly on Map 1.  I have not experimented too much with map 2 yet.  The traction control is a very cool tool.  It is just very weird and takes some getting accustomed to.

Graphics peeling a little here and there.  I am definitely not happy about that.

Overall, the bike is amazing.  It is my first KTM so it is definitely taking a little longer to set up.  That is certainly attributed to the learning curve with the air fork.  I will get the back end straightened out soon for sure and then I will be all set.

Let me know your thoughts on the shock!  Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

RIDE SAFE!!

FP