Project bike:XR250 running without airbox

My project XR250 came with only the left hand side cover and that is very tatty. I was wondering about deleting the airbox and fitting a decent cone type filter direct on the carb.

So it looks a bit like the bike below. I will use if for light trail/enduro work, but i wondered if the loss of airbox will harm the performance ?

I realise i will have less protection if i go for a swim but that is unlikely TBH. I also will need to fabricate an inner mud guard to protect the carb & shock, but if do that nicely in ali i think the overall effect could work.

It wont harm performance but you'd have to wash/oil it after EACH dirt ride...or have motor problems.
I deleted airbox on an all street xr6 and I washed/oiled it WEEKLY.
You're gonna need to jet richer.
And swim...even a splash you're going to eff up your motor. Pods are NOT for the dirt..AT ALL. Im not talking ish, I'm just warning you with reality. Get an airbox. Theres is a science to directed and controlled air. You're gonna be mad when you have a nice bike that still looks nice but won't run after a month.
You are selling yourself short if you think this is a good idea. Unless you're down to wash/oil filter every few hours

My brother did a major weight reduction surgery on his XR650L and part of the surgery included removing the airbox. He replaced the stock parts with a dry K&N slip on filter and used a filter bag to stop moisture. He never had any problems whatsoever with that setup and it didn't require any oiling of a filter either.

> used a filter bag to stop moisture.

what is this - i could only find petrol tank bag filters online ?

Not oiling a filter?....in the dirt?...
To each his own.
K and ns are oiled from factory. But A- lesser quality filtration than foam. Maybe for street only. And B- k and ns are supposed to be oiled with their spray oil.
All filters should get oiled
And Im not talking next day-boom. Im talking about longevity.

My project XR250 came with only the left hand side cover and that is very tatty. I was wondering about deleting the airbox and fitting a decent cone type filter direct on the carb.
So it looks a bit like the bike below. I will use if for light trail/enduro work, but i wondered if the loss of airbox will harm the performance ?
I realise i will have less protection if i go for a swim but that is unlikely TBH. I also will need to fabricate an inner mud guard to protect the carb & shock, but if do that nicely in ali i think the overall effect could work.

I love this. Bravo to the builder.