Dr650 won't start/stay running

I just got my dr650 (only 400 miles on it) about a month ago and it ran good for like the first week. I did notice sometimes it would fire right away but I just thought that was normal. Problem started when I was riding, died out on me in like 4th gear. Ended up finding out it had a bad battery, so I got a new one. Problem is still the same, it seems to only start on the prime setting. When I get it turned on with the normal "ON" it gives out when I give it throttle...or at least tries to stall. This is my first bike, so dont know too much about trouble shooting and I would like to learn how to fix my own bike.

I just got my dr650 (only 400 miles on it) about a month ago and it ran good for like the first week. I did notice sometimes it would fire right away but I just thought that was normal. Problem started when I was riding, died out on me in like 4th gear. Ended up finding out it had a bad battery, so I got a new one. Problem is still the same, it seems to only start on the prime setting. When I get it turned on with the normal "ON" it gives out when I give it throttle...or at least tries to stall. This is my first bike, so dont know too much about trouble shooting and I would like to learn how to fix my own bike.

Good choice on your first bike. It was mine too.
It sounds like you have a clogged pilot jet. If it sat in the showroom with gas in the carb it can gel up and clog the jets. I'd take the tank off and clean out all your jets with carb cleaner and blast them with compressed air. There are lots of tutorials on how to do this on a DR650 from people much more experienced than I.

On 2017-05-18 at 10:28 AM, OliverWinn said:

Good choice on your first bike. It was mine too.
It sounds like you have a clogged pilot jet. If it sat in the showroom with gas in the carb it can gel up and clog the jets. I'd take the tank off and clean out all your jets with carb cleaner and blast them with compressed air. There are lots of tutorials on how to do this on a DR650 from people much more experienced than I.

This is exactly the problem. After I cleaned mine, I switched to Chevron 94 octane with no ethanol and have not had a problem since. My carb was so varnished up from other fuel that it plugged the pilot jet. I was always running premium, but there is still ethanol in many different premium brands.

On 6/11/2017 at 9:23 AM, bigshifter said:

This is exactly the problem. After I cleaned mine, I switched to Chevron 94 octane with no ethanol and have not had a problem since. My carb was so varnished up from other fuel that it plugged the pilot jet. I was always running premium, but there is still ethanol in many different premium brands.

Awesome. Glad to hear you got it worked out. The ethanol is a real ass to our carbs...