Sign in to follow this  

2014 250sx converting to woods bike

Was looking for a 250 or 300 xc but found a good deal on a sx so I bought it and am going to ride it for now and either flip it or keep it. Always have rode 4 stroke bikes but sick of the cost of rebuilds and love my 2 stroke sleds.

Ride mostly single track in northern Michigan. What is the top priorities on making this bike better. Tempted to put a timbersled on it this winter too. Looking for best bang for the buck upgrades.

Looking at 300 big bore or Rk head or both. I'm sure there are other heads out there but I'm more knowledgeable in snowmobiles and they build some great big bore kits and I've seen their heads online before. Not really looking for more power for summer but for winter with a timbersled. Not 100% on a fly wheel weight to ease the power for single track riding.

Gas Tank?

Skid Plate?

18" rear wheel?

Gearing?

Is it worth the investment or just ride it and flip it for a xc? I'm kind of waiting to see these efi 2 strokes.

Thanks for any input.

Great woods platform.

I ride/race offroad with a 19 rear, without trouble. Just look for a tire with a big side-wall like 120/100 or 110/100-19 rear tire, possibly consider a tubliss rear tire insert or run low pressure with ultra HD Tube for a bit more tire area. You'll need to go up in pressure if you ride aggressively or dealing with square edges.

Spring the bike to suite your weight, set sage then drop the fork oil level by 10 to 20 cc.

MJ about 165 (they're not that sensitive, IMHO) but will need >> richer with a sled.

NECJ needle, 3rd clip, fresh 50:1 ideally with 50/50 Avgas mix, or just 91 if that's all you can get. I used the stock 250/300xc tank on my sx.

Freshly oiled filter.

Check that the throttle cable is routed correctly. There were a lot of reported WOT issues. Motion pro make a nice T3 cable.

Guards as required, depending on weather you've needed them in the past.

Replace the pipe springs and o'rings and watch the exhaust mounts as they tend to come loose and/or break.

I used 14/48 with some success. You might find this gearing is a bit too tall if you're running in 1st/2nd a lot. Taller gearing than stock definitely tames the beast.

• Like 2

IMG_3966.JPG

Ride it. Take the money you saved and put it into the suspension. Good news the SX in 2014 had the CC forks which were much easier and cheaper to have revalved than the 4cs that were on the XCs. I had Kreft do mine for reference and front and back revalve was under $600. I also have a 11oz FWW, 14/50 gearing and some protection. It's an awesome woods bike and feels more like a mountain bike and then can tear up an mx track. I say keep it!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Puddn421 said:

IMG_3966.JPG

Ride it. Take the money you saved and put it into the suspension. Good news the SX in 2014 had the CC forks which were much easier and cheaper to have revalved than the 4cs that were on the XCs. I had Kreft do mine for reference and front and back revalve was under $600. I also have a 11oz FWW, 14/50 gearing and some protection. It's an awesome woods bike and feels more like a mountain bike and then can tear up an mx track. I say keep it!

This and try the yellow power valve spring. You can also add a map switch for the ignition and use the soft setting. If you really want to be lazy put a Rekluse clutch in.

Edited by GreenMT_Rider
  • Like 1

Definitely rip that thing. Bought the same bike for the woods last year and love it.

I like the green spring for the woods, just seems smoother. Check out a G2 throttle cam. I put one of those in with the 400 cam and really like it. Gives you better throttle control. No need for a fly wheel weight if you do this.

Love the power and light feel of this bike. With a little suspensions work, this bike is a deadly woods weapon.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, B_Ridge Sledder said:

What about gas tank options. Use a oem XC tank or one of the aftermarket tanks? I want clear.

Check out the Acerbis 3.1.  Not much bigger than my 2013 Xc's 2.6 gallon tank, but that extra half gallon is nice come high country season for me. 

• Like 2

On 19/05/2017 at 3:53 AM, B_Ridge Sledder said:

Was looking for a 250 or 300 xc but found a good deal on a sx so I bought it and am going to ride it for now and either flip it or keep it. Always have rode 4 stroke bikes but sick of the cost of rebuilds and love my 2 stroke sleds.

Ride mostly single track in northern Michigan. What is the top priorities on making this bike better. Tempted to put a timbersled on it this winter too. Looking for best bang for the buck upgrades.

Looking at 300 big bore or Rk head or both. I'm sure there are other heads out there but I'm more knowledgeable in snowmobiles and they build some great big bore kits and I've seen their heads online before. Not really looking for more power for summer but for winter with a timbersled. Not 100% on a fly wheel weight to ease the power for single track riding.

Gas Tank?

Skid Plate?

18" rear wheel?

Gearing?

Is it worth the investment or just ride it and flip it for a xc? I'm kind of waiting to see these efi 2 strokes.

Thanks for any input.

Barry from enduro and cross training fame on you tube just recently did this 

carb tuning is a must 

they ran the necj needle in clip 3 but is you need to lean it out a touch more then a meDj in clip 2 (same as neCj in clip 2.5 )

you might find that with good carb tuning that a bigger tank might not be necessary 

flywheel weight would be a good investment imo

Edited by kxrob
  • Like 2

I had a 12 250sx, most linear motor I've ever owned until the after burner WAY up high where I rarely go.

You could stay 19 inch tires but I went 18 since it seemed tires needed tI o be fresher with the 19 vs 18.  

You really need a bigger tank but check for used ones.  

I dont recall my gearing, I think I stayed stock and was happy.

I put on a damper and a rekluse.  My only complaint (ok suspension too) with the bike was taken care of with a rekluse.  Coming around a blind corner and into an uphill I needed to quickly downshift but with a rekluse I didnt need to.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 7:34 AM, B_Ridge Sledder said:

What about gas tank options. Use a oem XC tank or one of the aftermarket tanks? I want clear.

I used an XC tank. The fit and size are very good. The downside is that the neck can be a little small for some quick-fill nozzles. You can buy a small diameter quck-dump nozzle that's specific to KTM, but if you have to share nozzles (my club provides my remote gas can), then you might have some trouble. I never had any trouble with the XC tank while using a funnel or most other VP-style gas cans with a flexible spout.

• Like 1

I just picked up a 2014 250sx with a 300sxs kit installed that I will be using in the woods as well as some light MX. I am looking forward to my first outing on it this week at Rio Bravo here in Houston and hopefully the Sam Houston National Forest if it is Dry enough Monday. I am planning to install a softer spring for sure. The front sprocket has already been switched to a 14 tooth as it pulls like crazy with the bigger displacement. I thinks this bike will suit me fine. I have met a lot of people that are using the SX in the woods. 

20170519_122957.jpg

• Like 4