CRF230F Ride Height

Ok guys, I've got a 230 and I'm trying to raise the ride height a little. I know the rear is easy enough by just swapping out the rocker, but what about the front? I found a triple clamp that BBR used to make, but I can't find one still out there for sale anywhere. I don't really want to go through the hassle and expense of swapping out the forks. Does anyone know of another option for raising the front other than swapping out the forks, perhaps another manufacturer that makes a triple clamp similar to the one below?

How negatively will the ride be effected by just raising the rear?

http://www.bbrmotorsports.com/Products/Products.aspx

51 minutes ago, atnipjd said:

Ok guys, I've got a 230 and I'm trying to raise the ride height a little. I know the rear is easy enough by just swapping out the rocker, but what about the front? I found a triple clamp that BBR used to make, but I can't find one still out there for sale anywhere. I don't really want to go through the hassle and expense of swapping out the forks. Does anyone know of another option for raising the front other than swapping out the forks, perhaps another manufacturer that makes a triple clamp similar to the one below?

If you raise just the rear your geometry will be wrong and your front end will tend to knife in and be twitchy at high speeds.

Late-model XR250 forks add one full inch and are likely easy to find.  A spacer or stack of washers will get them on.  Longer brake line, etc...

I used the 150F rear rocker and then put a set of cr500 forks on the front.

no need to change the brake line, only had to bush the large diameter of the front axle.

I have 13.5" ground clearance and the seat is still lower than my WR250...plus I have stronger forks with a plusher ride...

best of all they are NOT usd forks, so seal life (with good gators) is better....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, atnipjd said:

Ok guys, I've got a 230 and I'm trying to raise the ride height a little. I know the rear is easy enough by just swapping out the rocker, but what about the front?

cheapest way is pushing the top cap into the clamp. 

why do you want more ride height?

3 hours ago, atnipjd said:

How much is a little?  

Raising the rear will make the bike handle and steer more quickly and feel lighter in the front end, great for trail riding and the tight stuff but will sacrifice some high speed stability.  I like the way my 230F feels with less rake, front lower or rear higher.  Try it for yourself and see, I think it would be a win-win mod.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, VortecCPI said:

If you raise just the rear your geometry will be wrong and your front end will tend to knife in and be twitchy at high speeds.

Late-model XR250 forks add one full inch and are likely easy to find.  A spacer or stack of washers will get them on.  Longer brake line, etc...

We need make a correction Vortec. I looked at the post where they put washers to space late Xr250r triple clamp.It is a NO GO I have one stock 230 in shop right now. I have many late XR250r and Xr400r complete triple clamps. When you space lower and upper triple clamp.The stem bearings are not even 1/2 supported on stem. They hang out in recessed area of stem.Who ever has done this did not check. Yes you can do it anyway But very bad. It looks like early Xr500/600 triple clamps have short stems should work for 43mm fork for 41mm fork looks like 87 Xr250r triple clamp will work short stem.

• Like 1

How much is a little?  
Raising the rear will make the bike handle and steer more quickly and feel lighter in the front end, great for trail riding and the tight stuff but will sacrifice some high speed stability.  I like the way my 230F feels with less rake, front lower or rear higher.  Try it for yourself and see, I think it would be a win-win mod.

I was thinking about putting the 150 rocker on. So around 1". I'm 5'11" and weigh about 200 in full riding gear. The bike looks kind of small for me, but it could all be in my head.

12 hours ago, atnipjd said:

I was thinking about putting the 150 rocker on. So around 1". I'm 5'11" and weigh about 200 in full riding gear. The bike looks kind of small for me, but it could all be in my head.

Raise the rear first and see how you like it.  I've experimented with lowering the front end, sliding the forks up in the triples, about an inch and I liked the results.  Better turning response and no issues with instability.

Modifying or replacing the fork springs can also add ride height by reducing the amount of sag the forks have, the forks will operate higher up in the stroke.  At your weight, you would probably have better all around fork action with more fork spring rate.

Raise the rear first and see how you like it.  I've experimented with lowering the front end, sliding the forks up in the triples, about an inch and I liked the results.  Better turning response and no issues with instability.
Modifying or replacing the fork springs can also add ride height by reducing the amount of sag the forks have, the forks will operate higher up in the stroke.  At your weight, you would probably have better all around fork action with more fork spring rate.

So do I use both the link and the rocker from a 150? Excuse my ignorance, but I've never messed with the suspension at all other than adjusting preload on the shock.