Thoughts and prayers for Nicky Hayden

Article from motorsport.com

"Former MotoGP world champion Nicky Hayden has suffered severe brain damage as a result of his bicycle accident, a medical statement issued on Thursday confirmed.

The American remains hospitalised in the Intensive Care unit in the Bufalini hospital in Cesena, having been hit by a car while riding with friends on Wednesday...."

wsbk-assen-2017-nicky-hayden-honda-world

(photo credit: motorsport.com)

HB

I read about this yesterday. Total bummer news. Isn't it ironic that the guy can make a living racing at 100MPH+ on a crotch rocket and yet it was getting hit by a damn car while on his bicycle that does it. Four wheels don't mix with two wheels of any kind. Never have, never will.

• Like 12

Yeah the updates do not sound promising. Severe head trauma is never a good prognoses.

Damn, that sucks. I do a little cycling and have actually been hit by a car going about 60 mph. Clipped my wrist and had to have 16 stitches. I always joke with friends how I've raced motocross for years and ride street bikes and closest I've been to death is on a damn bicycle. Sad.

• Like 4

Any word if he was wearing a helmet? I remember when this happened to Schumacher skiing and they were trying to blame it on the gopro he was wearing...

I read about this yesterday. Total bummer news. Isn't it ironic that the guy can make a living racing at 100MPH+ on a crotch rocket and yet it was getting hit by a damn car while on his bicycle that does it. Four wheels don't mix with two wheels of any kind. Never have, never will.

Those crazy MotherFathers are going over 200 MPH.

Watch the documentary called "Hitting the Apex". Amazing footage and behind the scenes info.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Mongo134 said:

Was thinking the same way.  Cheats death while two wheel drifting at 160+ and gets cleaned out by somebody while training.  Sad.

6 hours ago, Arctic Pride said:

Any word if he was wearing a helmet? I remember when this happened to Schumacher skiing and they were trying to blame it on the gopro he was wearing...

Does remind me of the same situation.

We all like to talk about "walking away from the sport" and retiring on top as if without racing, daily life is perfectly safe.

• Like 1

2nd sports star recently in a road cycling accident recently in Italy.

Same sentiments as the rest of you guys re: dangerous sport vs dangers of daily life, really sucks to see either way.

Hoping and praying for the best for the Kentucky kid, been following him since he was racing Suzukis in AMA as the new hot shot kid.

Seems like a great guy/family.

any luck at all, and his skull got cracked...otherwise its a "closed" injury and that is not good, as swelling has no where to go...

14 hours ago, Arctic Pride said:

Any word if he was wearing a helmet?

are you serious ?....if you get hit by an escalade at any speed at all, and this won't matter....not that i'm anti helmet, just that bicycle helmets aren't designed for much more than a tip over, not getting punted by a dodge dually....

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bryan Bosch said:

Appears to just be a click-bait title. He's still alive from everything I can tell in the last hour.

I think the article meant if he is brain dead that his life is over.

Two Doctors  here a business owner and countless others I have seen in the hospital severely brain damaged or killed in a road bike.  

Plus us all the others, far more than street bikes. 

Who was it Goat Back in the early 80's as well while training? I won't ride one on the street.