Starting procedure for CV carbed KLX300?

Because fuel seems to go off very quickly whilst sat in the carb, especially so if left for extended periods, I turn the fuel supply off around a quarter of a mile before the end of my rides in order to empty the carb. This ensures that a relatively fresh supply of fuel is available for future start ups.

My subsequent starting procedure is to turn on the fuel, lay the bike on it's side for 5 to 10 seconds to flood the engine with fuel and to then kick over as normal.

Works fine every time!

20 hours ago, Yokomo said:

I agree with hadfield.  But if its chilly out, I always whack the throttle twice before attempting.

Why?  The CVK carb doesn't have an accelerator pump.

Ride on

Brewster

One of the things that really helps the starting process is to have Brewster retime the KACR on the exhaust cam. It was a night and day difference in the effort it took to start mine. I am assuming he still does the modification. 

8 hours ago, KAWBOYBILL said:

One of the things that really helps the starting process is to have Brewster retime the KACR on the exhaust cam. It was a night and day difference in the effort it took to start mine. I am assuming he still does the modification. 

Retiming the KACR will not compensate for other starting problems.  It only makes it easier to kick the engine over, like lowering the compression ratio.  But, thanks for the plug!

Ride on

Brewster

I would agree and was coming from the angle that the less effort it takes to kick it thru might give it that little extra spin and maybe light it up.  I think I would pull the plug after riding it for a period of time to see how it is running. Then if I went thru an episode of kicking it numerous times I would pull it again to see what it look likes. Could be a fuel mixture issue.