Ok Acerbis time to eat some Crow.

I think it's high time that the CRF 250L Acerbis tank buyers fight back and complain about how poorly this tank fits.

This isn't my first rodeo. After riding dirt and street for 35 year and buying many aftermarket tanks including Acerbis, I can't figure out why they are still selling this poorly executed tank.

The instructions albeit cryptic do make sense. I assembled it as best as possible.

I had no issues removing the stock tank, flipping it upside down and removing the fuel pump. It mounted nicely to the Acerbis tank.

The front mounts were a joke. No matter how I placed the spacers they were just too wide. I shortened them. Tanks is on now so off to the lower rear mount. I lined it up with a Phillips screw driver and got the bolt aligned. I swore about 15 times in the process. Now replacing the rad shrouds. Right side has no issues, removed the black piece as per instructions and no probs. The left side is a total cluster F. Look at the photos. I looked at the other installation videos and they all turn out the same. Looks like crap for almost $400 Canadian.

Honestly unless they admit the fact that they made a dud, don't buy the Acerbis tank. Buy a rear rack, one gallon tank and a bungee cord and save yourself a ton of money, time and aggravation.

Acerbis company. Redesign the tank. Eliminate the factory shrouds and make them fuel storage just like you did in the past.

Thanks, I had to vent.

Cheers

upload1495150930.076224.jpgupload1495151018.554467.jpg

• Like 4

Just gotta say that after seeing many photos of the Acerbis tank on the LRP, most don't look that good. From the pics I have seen, the seat looks like it may snap at any minute from the hard curve it has to make, along with the plastics being out of whack. Some people have heated up the plastic on the bottom of the seat with a heat gun and got it to look fairly good...but don't know how the integrity of the seat is after. Something has to give when taking up more space...physics 101. I personally, would rather stop for gas more often at a station or install a rotopax. Rotopax don't look great either, but serves a purpose for sure. If I did go trail riding, I doubt it would be for 100 miles or more which my stock tank capacity can handle. Just sayin' .

• Like 1

I had to fidget to get the front mounting right, but after that was not too bad, and have had it off/on a few times. seat and plastics weren't too bad, even with my tank cover installed. Far better than the IMS, thats a load of crap. I love the extra mileage, and think it looks better than stock tank, aesthetically!

Mine was a nightmare to get on as well, that left side is horrific. I have the black tank and black plastics so I used a couple heavy duty black zip ties to secure the plastics and it blends in nicely. For your color scheme though you're screwed.

If you think that tank fits poorly don't get a Corbin seat, mine cost over $500 CAD to the door and it is sitting collecting dust because the mold is so bad I cant even get it on.

• Like 1

https://camel-adv.com/products/honda-crf250l-camel-tank-ct-250l

you get .6 more gallons with a camel tank....of course you pay close to $200 more. though, since this isn't dorking with the original tank, nor the fuel pump, or really anything since it works off the OG tank vent.....one could fab one of these up pretty easily.

edit:  2.5 gallon stainless fire extinguisher .... weld a fitting into the bottom for the vacuum tube from the tank vent, then a fitting on the other end to let air in...and of course some way to fill the sumbich...

Edited by Crapflinger
  • Like 1

Lots of people on this Forum sure love to spend money. For the small increase in fuel capacity they are all overpriced junk. Get some of those spun aluminum bottles backpackers and rock climbers use. Cheap, safe, did I say cheap. Store anywhere, weigh next to SFA empty. Or continue to be gouged by those companies and Wooed by their advertising. For less than 4 litre increase - $260.00 WTF

• Like 4

The acerbis with my 7 L fuel bladder and Im good to go in any situation, but most places gas is plentiful unless ur cruisin the Baja of Atacama desert.

On 5/19/2017 at 7:41 PM, Crapflinger said:

https://camel-adv.com/products/honda-crf250l-camel-tank-ct-250l

Funny Camel guys, a few more days :(

Add 6 more liters (1.58gal) to your CRF's stock fuel capacity for an impressive total of 13.7L (3.6gal)! With 80% more fuel range you’ll be able to commute a few extra days between fills,

I burn through 35 L on a good day .

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 8:58 PM, seedy said:

Lots of people on this Forum sure love to spend money. For the small increase in fuel capacity they are all overpriced junk. Get some of those spun aluminum bottles backpackers and rock climbers use. Cheap, safe, did I say cheap. Store anywhere, weigh next to SFA empty. Or continue to be gouged by those companies and Wooed by their advertising. For less than 4 litre increase - $260.00 WTF

if you're trail riding, or doing mx, or general day tripping then rotopax, MSR fuel bottles, hell even an empty bladder from a starbucks coffee thing will do the trick. anything you can put gas in and strap ON the bike will work.

if you're trying to do any kind of serious ADV the more you carry ON the bike as opposed to IN the bike means the less other stuff you can carry ON the bike. 5 gallons of gas strapped on the bike means 5 gallons LESS gear you can strap on the bike. which is where most of these kinds of things are actually being marketed to generally. like the camel tank. you can still put saddle bags over that thing and carry the same amount of gear (space wise, let's not even talk about weight) as you could without the thing there....PLUS you got a bunch of gas

of course the things are all still overpriced and a roll your own would certainly be cheaper.

TBH the thing I can't stand about the acerbis tanks and such is that you get wasted gas in the wings of the tanks on most of them....what the hell is the point of extra gas you can't use without leaning the bike over?

• Like 1

More capacity would be nice, but not with that hideous tank.  I was debating on purchasing one to get more than 100 miles on a tank before the last bar flashes, then saw one, and no way, doesn't look like it was even designed for this bike, and the tall cap and vent hose sticking out.  I'm in an area where you are almost never more than 10 miles from a gas station, and if i'm riding offroad in a park, I'll probably transport the bike there on a hitch haul, and keep my gear, and a couple 5gal cans in the SUV.  If I absolutely needed to bring more gas, a can or rotopack on a rack carries more.

depending where u ride 10 mi might be out of the question, but if have extra whatever externally is a lot of weight up high, far to the rear, etc. Use your external as soon as u can to the tank, and like before, it takes up good space!

• Like 1

Only thing I have against Rotopax is they have had a leak problem with their caps here lately. They used to replace the caps no problem, but now it seems like they blow you off. Or maybe I've just been getting the bad eggs in customer service. I'm going to try and figure out why mine started leaking before I drop money on a replacement cap...

I guess I'm just weird cuz I do not see the need for a larger tank  .... the little dual sports are just that. Fun in town jacking around and a blast on the trails etc. The perfect bike to trailer to a vast riding area such as MOAB or Colorado etc .... from there you can pack it up for day camping and maybe bring along a little extra fuel just in case and hopefully not even need it. 

For real adventure riding I need one of these !!! .... you can decide which one I'm talking about ... :p

honda-africa-twin-crf1000l-motorcycle-ad

• Like 3

I personally have never had to use my RotoPax on my own bike... Last time I used it I had it along because of the switch to shorter gearing on the street and the distance we were scheduled to ride. My buddy ran out of gas on his ZX-10. I was the only bike with extra fuel so I had to turn back and give him the gallon so he could make it to a gas station. Irony was not 10 minutes before he ran out, he was joking at one of our stops that if he ran out of gas he knew who to get it from since the RotoPax had premium in it... So he got a 1 gallon of gas and I got a beer at our end of ride bar and $6. That was the best trade ever considering at the time premium was only $2.50/gal

• Like 2

11 hours ago, gnath9 said:

For real adventure riding I need one of these !!!

imageproxy_php.thumb.jpg.2569e923027167c00d2501ddca964560.jpg

You like em bald eh?

• Like 6

Kompact gotcha, Gnath, on an open ended invitation of the pic. Starting to see more of that here...I like...shows attention to detail...Fun !...

• Like 2

Don't worry Gary, I got your back.

2017-05-23 21.47.30.jpg

I've been eyeballing those since the first rumors came out. Maybe someday I'll add another CRF to my stables. Right now I got other bikes to payoff.

Edited by RudeJeepin
  • Like 5

The issues with these tanks and the high cost to only gain 1 gallon of fuel has driven me to buy a 1 gallon Rotopax. I just ordered it yesterday but I just plan to strap it down to the rear fender with Rok Straps on the days that I feel like I need the added fuel range. $60 is easier for me to deal with than $210 for a gallon of gas. 

• Like 1