Hammerhead Knurled tip

Can the hammerhead knurled tip work with the stock shifter? Ive been having trouble with shifting with the stock 2015 Honda CRF450 shifter. I think a longer tip would help get my boot from slipping or missing the shifter. I'm trying to not spend $75 on a complete kit, but if I have to, I have to. Thanks. 

They used to advertise the fact that you could drill out the rivet on the stock shifter and replace the tip with theirs, now they don't mention it at all on the website. I called and asked about whether that would still work. They didn't tell me it wouldn't, but said something about it "not being recommended", which leads me to believe there's no reason it wouldn't work, although you might need to shim it with some washers or something to get the right fit. That being said, their full CNC shifters are really nice, and then you can keep the stocker as a backup.

If you order the tip and try it let us know.  I've been wondering this for a couple years.

I'm just going to order the full shifter. Im worried I'll drill it out and it wont work, then I won't have a shifter for the weekend to ride.

I have been installing the tips, alone, on the OEM shifters for years. Work great but you do need some small OD shim washers and o-rings if you want your boots to last a while.

• Like 1

I have been installing the tips, alone, on the OEM shifters for years. Work great but you do need some small OD shim washers and o-rings if you want your boots to last a while.

I understand the shims, but what do I do with the orings?

2 hours ago, downonmonday said:

I understand the shims, but what do I do with the orings?

There's a few grooves in the shifter that you can put o-rings on to keep your boots from getting beat by the knurls. Use them for sure.

• Like 1

There's a few grooves in the shifter that you can put o-rings on to keep your boots from getting beat by the knurls. Use them for sure.

That's what I kind of figured, but wanted to confirm. Great idea!

3 hours ago, Eddie8v said:

then whats the point is buying an expensive shifter? if hes going to buy an expensive shifter and just put orings around the tip then why wouldn't he just do the same to the stocker?

They have a rubber tipped shifter. But, I ordered a Torc1 shifter that comes with adjustable length tip.

2 hours ago, 91kdx25088 said:

then whats the point is buying an expensive shifter? if hes going to buy an expensive shifter and just put orings around the tip then why wouldn't he just do the same to the stocker?

No grooves on the stocker. You have an option of getting o-rings included when you buy a complete shifter, but not when buying just the tip, if memory serves me correctly. O-rings cost very little, too. Not like it would be a deal-breaker.

22 hours ago, 91kdx25088 said:

the big advantage of the Hammerhead shifters (or tips) is they come in different length/offsets, so if the stock shifter is too short (which it is for many people on the Honda), you can get one that's 10 or 15mm longer.

What is the point of a longer shifter tip? I can see the need for a shifter that is longer overall but not just the tip. ???

On 5/26/2017 at 8:39 AM, YHGEORGE said:

What is the point of a longer shifter tip? I can see the need for a shifter that is longer overall but not just the tip. ???

For guys like me that wear a size 14 boot. The stock shift lever tip was about an inch from the point of my foot where my ankle is. The 20mm hammerhead lever is at almost the tip of my toes in my boots now.