Oil change and now the bike won't start

So I just finished up my new crankcase cover installation and I drained all the old oil, changed the filer, and added in 2 quarts of oil. Started the bike up no problem and ran it for 3 minutes before checking the oil level. Nothing was showing on the dipstick so I added a bit more and now the bike won't start, it turns and wants to go but won't. Should I drain the oil and just add exactly 2 quarts then ride it around before checking and possibly adding more? I think it just might have too much oil now since most people say even 2 quarts is overfilling slightly.

Oil change is just south of 2 full quarts, I would drain and measure how much you took out for shits and giggles then refill with the proper measures 1.8 quarts.

Also remember there is a frame tank and crankcase, running the engine will pump the oil around so I usually wait a few mins before checking the dip level..... but if you drained it, then added 1.8quarts... your good to go

Ok I'm going to refill with 1.8 quarts. I let the bike run for 3 mins before checking it the first time (after adding the 2 quarts), checked the oil with the bike on it's kickstand and it still didn't show. I read on a thread that you are supposed to check with the bike standing up straight, not on a kickstand.

I didn't start it after putting 1.8 quarts in due to it being late but I'll let you guys know how it goes tomorrow.

You need to read up carefully on how a dry sump motor works in order to check the oil level accurately.Slightly overfilling by dumping in 2 quarts isn't going to hurt a thing and really has nothing to do with hard starting.Check the position of the clutch lever and kickstand switches,engine kill switch position,petcock position and it's vacuum line securely connected?

You have to have the motor at full operating temp and not from cold for 3 minutes in your driveway.It doesn't work like that,you need to take it for at least a 15 min ride to get it hot,shut it off and wait a couple minutes then stand the bike straight up level and pull the dipstick and take a reading.Should be in the crosshatch area.

• Like 6

Ironically, on a dry sump bike like the DRZ, you should check the oil after you get done riding. :)

• Like 1

Well after adding 1.8 quarts yesterday the bike still won't start. It turns but won't start.

10 hours ago, Dabwick said:

Tried some starting fluid but it still didn't take.

You have an ignition problem of some sort. Start at the spark-plug.

• Like 1