Watering Out a FI Bike

I have a 450FX and it is my first FI bike.  If I have the misfortune of watering out what is the proper way to get it going again?  It keeps snowing in Colorado so the streams will be flowing this summer.  I hope it never happens. With the high placement of the filter and air intake chances are good it wont happen but better to be prepared.  Seems every 10 years or so it happens to me.

If you dunk it, you turn it upside down, remove the plug and air filter, and run the e start to get all the water out of the motor, assuming it tipped over while running.

If it was not running, then you will not suck in much water. Just remove the air filter and inspect the intake and exhaust.

There are no hoses like on a carb bike that would suck in water.....even at 12" deep water (unless you re routed them)

You get the water out of the filter as best you can and start it up.

Drain the oil first.  It will be contaminated anyway.

Water in the top end isn't a real problem, anyway, beyond the point of hydro-locking the piston, as long as you don't let it sit wet too long.  The engine can tolerate that much better than contaminated oil.  Drain the oil, remove the plug, crank out the excess, and dump the fuel.  Fill it with a fresh load of good, but low cost engine oil (because you'll want to dump that again right away.  As long as it has a good detergent package, use it).  Add fresh fuel with 2-3 ounces of ethyl alcohol as a drier, and start it up.  Run it long enough to burn out ant water in the exhaust packing and get the oil warmed up, then do an oil change with your regular good stuff. 

• Like 2