What rpm do you ride at on 4 stroke

I am 37. Have about 50 hours on a bike since I started riding again. Growing up the four strokes I knew of consisted of bayou 220 fourwheelers that might have hit 6 grand before they explode. On two strokes 20 years ago I would ream out till they quit pulling to learn when to shift but I thought 4 strokes worked at lower rpm. You aren't supposed to ream them out, right? When I got my first four stroke bike I was told to use the trick where you keep a toe up on the shifter and when the bike hits the sweet spot it wants to shift up for you even without a clutch to find shift points. I thought this would put me close to the right revs and had been riding accordingly. I have never heard my bike hit the rev limiter. Always backed off because it seemed like it would blow up.

So, just moved from an 06 kx250f to a 2012 kx250f that by the numbers makes the most horsepower at 12k. Apparently I'm an incredible wuss because my new tach/hour meter had a nifty max rpm feature that says I only got up to 6700 today at the track. Was working on being smooth on transitions and corner body position, but still clearing all the jumps so not like I was lugging it. Although if I ever got to 12k I bet it would be screaming and I would think it's about to blow up.

Are you telling me I'm not even sniffing the potential of this bike? That I basically could make it around my whole track in 3rd gear? I normally shift up to fourth but if I'm only halfway through the gear I should have plenty left and be able to clear everything in 3rd (max 55' table)? I'm supposed to ride this thing at higher rpm than a two stroke? This is crazy!

What rpm do you guys ride at?

I hope. I was going to crank it tomorrow and rec it to the limit to see. Threw away the package but shouldn't it be reading spark and so I don't know how it's off?

I'm an idiot. Pulse per revolution on EFI is .5. it was on one.

Haha that makes sense. There's nothing wrong with hitting the rev limiter, I probably do it a couple times a lap. Usually it's in the air, but sometimes it's on the straits when I'm trying to stretch out third gear. When I'm feeling out lines a lot of times I'll ride 3rd to the limiter and it gives me an idea if I should grab 4th the next time around. Ocassionally there are sections i hit it regularlly. And if you hit jumps pinned, any gas to bring the front end up you hit the limiter

Edited by temporarily_locked
  • Like 1

Good info TL. Still a bunch I'm learning.

I guess I have old perceptions about for strokes that I can forget about. Interested now to see where I am really running. Bet it's still not super high. I need to figure out where the red line is anyway just to have that knowledge.

Care you share with us what you are using as a tach/hour meter? My old Italian husky displayed rpms on the computer, but my 16' doesn't :\ I've always wondered where exactly she's idling, red-lining etc.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/984/62113/Works-Connection-Tach-Hour-Meter-with-Resettable-Maintenance-Timer

Has tach, clock, hour meter, and captures the highest rpm hit per ride.

I've hit the rev limiter a couple times now just to see where it's at. The 2012 actually starts flat lining with power and torque close to the limit so my style seems to keep me in good part of the power.

I tend to lug my 450 especially in jumps.  I have found if you say take a jump 3rd gear amd wind it out it is sometimes harder to control, but shift to 4th and drop the rpm and it keeps control better.  Cause when you are wound out the throttle causes more of am affect.  Also true on whoops and rollers.

Oh on a side note you said EFI is .5 per revolution.  So if my hour meter says 130 I actually have 65? Or is it 130?  I have mine wrapped around spark plug wire.

6 hours ago, pavetim said:

Oh on a side note you said EFI is .5 per revolution.  So if my hour meter says 130 I actually have 65? Or is it 130?  I have mine wrapped around spark plug wire.

No hour meter time is going to hold true.