2007 XR650L dies when you hit the gas at idle.

OK all, I'm new here, so please bare with me. I bought a 2007 Honda XR650L last month. It only had 694 original miles on it when I picked it up. The man I bought it from was in a car accident a few months after he bought the bike new at a local dealer here. He broke his back in the accident, and the bike sat ever since. I picked the bike up, brought it home, changed the oil, put some gas in it, and Holy Cow!!! I got a new bike that runs awesome. It's all original except for the mirrors. I've put almost 200 flawless miles on this bike and as of Sunday, the bike wants to stall when you give it gas. I pulled the carb at least six times now thinking I my have missed something. If you give it half choke it runs great. Soooooo....... I know this isn't anything new, and would love to get some feedback. Thanks, Michael

new ride.jpg

Clean air filter, if you havent already fresh gas even if it sat a week drain and put fresh gas in it, also need to be running 91 octane or higher, and check all exhaust bolts and clamps for tightness could have came loose than take carb off again... spray carb or break cleaner into every hole on the carb just drench it the more the better, check for dirt in tank and in line, you can also shoot compressed air through the carb i usually do carb cleaner only. And if still nothing check the valves

+1

First thought is bad gas or you got some debris in the fuel somewhere. 

It happened to me too over the winter my XRL sat for a long while. 

10 hours ago, yz400fmaniac said:

...put fresh gas in it, also need to be running 91 octane or higher

Mine runs just fine on 87 octane - at sea level - with a 10.5:1 higher compression piston in it.  After a couple of years with the higher compression motor, I haven't heard even the slightest hint of detonation from the engine.

If it runs great with half choke, I would be looking at the idle mixture screw setting and maybe a clogged pilot jet.  Raising the idle a little bit can also help.

Mine runs just fine on 87 octane - at sea level - with a 10.5:1 higher compression piston in it.  After a couple of years with the higher compression motor, I haven't heard even the slightest hint of detonation from the engine.

If it runs great with half choke, I would be looking at the idle mixture screw setting and maybe a clogged pilot jet.  Raising the idle a little bit can also help.

For the 87 i don't mean it will cause motor damage, but it will gum up and wreck carb seals if left sitting

36 minutes ago, yz400fmaniac said:

For the 87 i don't mean it will cause motor damage, but it will gum up and wreck carb seals if left sitting

I guess mine has never sat for more than a month, and that was when I was on a long vacation.  Normally it doesn't sit for even a week.

If you're concerned about the gas sitting in there, buy all of your fuel from Chevron so you get the Techron additive.  The KTM dealer told me that it would make a difference for my 990 Adventure if I did that, so I've bought all of my gas there since the last service.  I'll know in a year or two if it makes a genuine difference on that bike.

And for the record, most stations don't put more "magic stuff" in the higher octane fuel than the rest, the octane difference comes directly from the refinery.

I think the concern over 87 is from someone where 87 has a lot of ethanol, and 91 has none.

Ethanol blended gas left sitting in the carb is a concern, I always run my carb dry and hit full 'choke' when it starts to sputter to burn off the last bit.

Draining it is fine too, of course.

Very fine crud can be a real pain to chase out of the carb, adding a fuel filter is easy.

I'd say make sure carb is properly seated and all hoses in the right place.

• Like 1

The tank was dry when I bought the bike, and the air filter is the original as well. The carb is for sure clean. Every time I pull it apart, the jets are clean. As for gas, I filled it with 88 oct. I have adjusted the idle screw, but that didn't seem to help. I woke up this morning wondering if it could be cold nature? The first ride I went on, the bike had idled for about 8 minutes or so. I had just changed the oil, and was looking the bike over, then went for a ride. When I went out sunday, I let it idle for a few minutes and took off. It hesitated a little and was on my way. This morning I put the bike back together, and had the same bog. I let the bike idle for about five minutes and it seems to run fine. I can hit the gas and it takes off fine. 

I guess mine has never sat for more than a month, and that was when I was on a long vacation.  Normally it doesn't sit for even a week.
If you're concerned about the gas sitting in there, buy all of your fuel from Chevron so you get the Techron additive.  The KTM dealer told me that it would make a difference for my 990 Adventure if I did that, so I've bought all of my gas there since the last service.  I'll know in a year or two if it makes a genuine difference on that bike.
And for the record, most stations don't put more "magic stuff" in the higher octane fuel than the rest, the octane difference comes directly from the refinery.

Im not talking about octane lower octane fuel has more ethanol thats what ruins carbs
  • Like 1

The tank was dry when I bought the bike, and the air filter is the original as well. The carb is for sure clean. Every time I pull it apart, the jets are clean. As for gas, I filled it with 88 oct. I have adjusted the idle screw, but that didn't seem to help. I woke up this morning wondering if it could be cold nature? The first ride I went on, the bike had idled for about 8 minutes or so. I had just changed the oil, and was looking the bike over, then went for a ride. When I went out sunday, I let it idle for a few minutes and took off. It hesitated a little and was on my way. This morning I put the bike back together, and had the same bog. I let the bike idle for about five minutes and it seems to run fine. I can hit the gas and it takes off fine. 

Yep theres the prob, air cooled bikes are cold blooded always warm up for about 5 min at the least this will also make the engine last longer than just jumping on and going
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, yz400fmaniac said:

I'm not talking about octane lower octane fuel has more ethanol thats what ruins carbs

The stuff that we get here in California has 10% ethanol regardless of octane.  And ethanol actually has higher octane than gasoline by its nature, even though it has less power per unit of fuel.  There is a Jay Leno's Garage episode where there is a 1000 hp Mustang that only gets the 1000 hp (at the rear wheels) if you run E85 in it - 85% ethanol.  It gets quite a bit lower power if you run normal gasoline because the computer has to protect the engine and drop the boost.  Link:

1 hour ago, yz400fmaniac said:

Yep theres the prob, air cooled bikes are cold blooded always warm up for about 5 min at the least this will also make the engine last longer than just jumping on and going

During the warmer half of the year, mine runs great with just 30 seconds of warm up.  I shut the choke off after 5-10 seconds, fihish putting helmet and gloves on, then ride off.  I'm gentle with it for a few minutes, but willing to give it full throttle in less than five minutes.  Riding with a gentle load is supposed to be a better way to warm up an engine than letting it sit there idling for long periods.

My experiences seem to be quite a bit different than yours for some reason.

After two more rides this weekend I have come to the conclusion that If I let the bike warm up for five minutes, It runs great. About to go out this afternoon again!