Running out of fuel... intentionally

Hey guys, quick question.  Ever since I got a stuck float seat combined with a bad O-ring resulting in a crankcase full of fuel/oil, I've taken to shutting off the raptor petcock when I'm about a block away from the house, then letting it idle while I'm opening the shed.  It rarely runs completely out of gas.  I then shut it down and put it away.  The bowl refills when I reopen the petcock before starting her up for my next ride.

Sometimes it's a week or two between rides, and I'm hoping the fuel level in the bowl is low enough that the float is below the level of fuel in the bowl, decreasing the chances of residue building up on it again and causing it to stick.

So... am I doing any harm with what I'm doing?  Is there any logic to it, or am I wasting my efforts?  It's served me well to remind me to shut off the petcock.  Before, there were many times I would forget and leave it open for hours before a nagging voice in my head reminded me to go out and check (close) it.

Thanks guys,

Tom

If that serves to remind you to shut off the peacock,  that's a good thing, but ain't doing no harm. Your biggest problem seems to be the crappy fuel you get there.

I used to do that to old carberated cars that had sedimate under the needle and flooding. Shut off the fuel, let it run till it almost dies, then let the fuel flow again, it would wash the sediment off the needle and seat and seal again.

• Like 1

nope.but you're draining the float bowl dry either so it is still susceptible to having the fuel turn to goo.There's a bowl drain screw on the bottom of the carb to let it all out if you don't ride it that much.

I ride too often to drain the bowl after each ride.  Besides, I think it would only be a matter of time before that screw would get stripped or start leaking creating a much bigger problem.  I like the idea that when I reopen the petcock, the rush of fuel cleans off the seat, but I don't like the idea of a small puddle of fuel sitting in the bottom of the bowl thickening as it vaporizes...  If only someone made a small petcock for the drain screw!  You could open it after each ride to drain the bowl, then close it up again.  I wonder if that would increase the risk of the bowl seat drying out?  Last time I had my bowl off, there wasn't much debris collected at the bottom...

Glad to know I've not missed something and am unknowingly messing up my carb or engine.

Tom

You just said you go 2 weeks without riding.It would have been much easier to have the stock vacuum petcock so as not to forget to shut it off.I guess it's too late now.You could treat your fuel so it doesn't go bad so quickly.Something to keep in mind.

Sometimes I may even go 3 weeks without riding it.  I don't ride every day.  Believe it or not, sometimes it's just too muddy to ride!  Mud (to be understood as CLAY)collects on the rear tire and packs everywhere essentially grinding the bike to a halt until you find a stick and dig out all the mud.

If I had a Walmart down the street, I'd go buy some Stabil.  Unfortunately, it would cost me triple what Stabil cost just to have it shipped here.  No doubt there'd be a larger hazmat customs charge tacked on as well when it hit PNG.  Here, you gotta make due with what you've got!

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 4:12 PM, bumtarder said:

Sounds like even finding gasoline would be a problem.Are you retired there or just there for work for a while?

Not retired... I was a Family Doctor practicing in Bryson City, NC for a decade when God called me to the mission field.  I've been working here in the highlands of Papua New Guinea since July 2014.  We're heading back to the US in September of this year for 3 months, then down to Peru for 4 months, then back to PNG for another 3 years.  We joined Wycliffe Bible Translators and now work for the Summer Institute of Linguistics.  Both my wife and I are doctors.  We survive off donations.

Now, on to today's amazing story!  I went out to ride to the villages and left the center with cloudy blue skies.  But while I was out socializing in the villages the rains came.  One the ride back, I dumped the bike three times.  The water-covered clay is seriously as slick as ice.  Any incline, and your tires may slide right out from under you.  At one time, the mud was so caked around both the front tire and rear tire that I couldn't get the bike to move in first gear.  Seriously... I would not budge, the engine would stall.  I would clean out the mud with my riding-gloved hand, and 30 feet later she would barely budge.  I was overheating the engine and the fan was running continuously so I'd stop occasionally until the engine cooled.  I was about 5km from getting back to the center when the engine started sputtering.  I left with a full tank of gas and had gone about 40km and was on fumes so I had to hit my reserve for the very first time.  Fortunately, by this time the trail was more gravel so I could get up to third gear and save a lot of gas.  She was starting to sputter when I pulled on-center.  It was CLOSE...

Tom

Muddy.jpg

Edited by SpudRacer75
  • Like 3

On 5/18/2017 at 11:07 PM, SpudRacer75 said:

Sometimes I may even go 3 weeks without riding it.  I don't ride every day.  Believe it or not, sometimes it's just too muddy to ride!  Mud (to be understood as CLAY)collects on the rear tire and packs everywhere essentially grinding the bike to a halt until you find a stick and dig out all the mud.

If I had a Walmart down the street, I'd go buy some Stabil.  Unfortunately, it would cost me triple what Stabil cost just to have it shipped here.  No doubt there'd be a larger hazmat customs charge tacked on as well when it hit PNG.  Here, you gotta make due with what you've got!

Is your fuel ethanol free? Can you get Marvel Mystery Oil?

your just making it easier for fuel to evaporate and leave deposits on your jets.

Star Tron is an alternative too Stabil.

Or if that's in the same boat as your issue with Stabil importing some Marine 2 stroke oils have stabilizers in them, or Stihl or Husqvarna 2 stroke oils have fuel stabilizer in them. Google it plenty options out there besides Stabil. Good luck.

• Like 1

I was thinking of Star Tron myself , I've had to use it in  many things that sit for more than a week to stop carb issues , found it works better than Stabil . But it's likely the same hazmat shipping issue . I'd not run the fuel out as much , just shut the petcock off as you turn in the driveway and only idle it for a little bit , basically getting the fuel out of the hose and just below the float needle but yet the bowl is still full'ish . More gas will take longer to go bad or turn to crap than a little puddle on the very bottom .