2009 KYB SSS swap to replace 4CS on 2014 Husky

Hi Guys so I can get my hands on a good set of 2009 KYB SSS forks off a YZ 450. I want to know is it easily possible to swop my 4CS forks for these KYB's? I want to keep my brakes and wheels.

What changes are needed to make this swop? Triple clamps? Wheel spacers? Brake caliper mountings?

I think I have done a post on this a while back , it's not easy

Want to do it easy? Pull the cartridges out of the kyb forks and send them along with your 4cs to protune suspension. When they come back the kyb cartridges will be in your wp tubes and you just bolt it back together.

It will be the most well spent money you've ever spent on your Ktm

• Like 3

I remember seeing and not able to re-find the post that one of the clamp manufacturers had a non-advertised KYB SSS fork to KTM clamp, wheel spacers, and brake bracket. Does anyone know which manufacturer it was and possibly a price?

Problem is I live in South Africa so the shipping will cost more than anything else and I dont have that kind of budget. Will ask the local tuners if they have done conversions. I am happy enough with my 4CS as I have worked on it myself but the kyb would be sweet.

I didn't find the kyb to be much better than my reworked cc fork

• Like 1

i have done it a couple of times using adaptors fit the sss carts in the 4cs tubes and also using the whole sss fork but still maintaining the husky wheel and brake etc.

09 are easier to fit cause the top tubes don't need machining down at all, just some 0.2mm shim sheet to space the bottom clamp. you need make custom wheel spacers to suit the sss axle and the hardest part is getting the brake to fit which requires cutting off the top brake bolt hole of the fork and redrilling 2 new holes to mount the caliper and a 3mm spacer to centralise the caliper on the disc.

by far the easier way is to use 4cs to sss adaptors

• Like 1

I used the std hole on the brake adapter and only drilled one new one, was a pain still , I heard older husky used kyb forks with Brembo brakes and so a brake carrier must be available?

You can do what Mog suggested but you need to cut the top bolt hole off the fork lug and redrill it just lower which lines up with the new hole he drilled in the brake hanger. The Yams have a larger bolt spacing for the brake caliper. This also allows the caliper to position over the disc better and also still use the wheel speed sensor.

I have a set of SSS sitting in my bike at the moment, i'll have a play later and see if I can get a design sorted for a new brake adaptor. I have been thinking of making these commercially available for a while now

• Like 2

So it got the better of me today and I decided to fit the SSS I bought the other week to my husky so I could get some pics for this thread..

I should mention I stuffed around for ages trying to get the ideal position for the caliper to bolt on to not only get the best/even brake contact but also for the speed sensor to still work. I even had a CRF 270mm brake adapter which would still require modification to fit and ultimately didn't get an better brake contact. I'm not aware of any aftermarket suppliers who make KYB to Brembo brake adapter.

You can't use the original top bolt hole as it kicks the caliper at a strange angle and disc contact is terrible. On a previous conversion I done I installed 2 new bolt holes int he adapter and got the disc contact even better again but had some issues getting the caliper to sit parallel to the disc due to the casting thickness differences.

drill and tap a new hole, works out to be about radius 18mm from the top mounting hole, use the existing bottom hole. The new top hole could even be moved slightly to the right more to get the speedo sensor to align better, saying that I didn't want to compromise strength too much.

20170521_123300_zps91gqchwk.jpg

this is the brake disc contact you end up with

20170521_121541_zpskgwc4ybu.jpg

The is it all bolted on, the speed sensor should just get enough signal to work

20170521_125611_zpsgznbqs5z.jpg

non disc side wheel spacer made to suit the KTM?Husky wheel and the YZ axle, is wider on this side but I may be able to trim it down a bit to make it the same as the other side. 

20170521_125658_zps0csk2myv.jpg

Brake side spacer, doesn't poke out very far past the seal. You need it this thin to get the disc central

20170521_125648_zpskttkr46s.jpg

It doesn't look it but the disc is central. You can also see the top bolt has a 1.6mm spacer between the adapter and the fork, the bottom has no spacer. This is due to the casting step down in the adapter at the top hole, without the spacer the brake would not sit parallel to the disc and work terrible.

20170521_125630_zpsflfm1trl.jpg

Your other easier option is to use the adapters i mentioned to fit the SSS carts into the 4CS legs, here is a pic of an old design I had. The new design offers protection for the rebound adjuster and I should have pricing for these later this week.

20170521_153749_zpsdk1p44ky.jpg

• Like 5

Why not just use a YZ brake, wheel and axle?

Wrong offset, crap brakes

Have you gone any further with the adapter kit sss/4cs? I'm keen to hear more. Do you know if the 06 sss can be used as doners for my 13 4cs?.

I hope to catch up with the machinist tomorrow afternoon for an update.

yeah 06 would work fine, all the 4cs have the same lug internals, just different size axles which just means a minor change to the wheel spacers

Thanks for that, bike is now getting stripped down for bits, I would like to include the SSS/4cs internal's conversion as part of my refresh. If possible I would like to take some advice here Bowser on the conversion.  Could I buy the necessary adaptor items from yourself? How did the machinist get on?

On 5/31/2017 at 6:32 AM, bowser said:

I hope to catch up with the machinist tomorrow afternoon for an update.

yeah 06 would work fine, all the 4cs have the same lug internals, just different size axles which just means a minor change to the wheel spacers

Hey Bowser, clear your PM's!

10 hours ago, GHILL28 said:

Hey Bowser, clear your PM's!

try now, I didn't end up getting a batch done of these. Just not enough interested parties to bother

I think someone is doing them ? SDI ?