Jump to content

Suggestions welcome

Recommended Posts

Hey everyone, 

 

So after about 7-8 years away from riding I'm looking to get back into it. 

My riding will be mostly local woods & trails but I'd also like to try out an MX track and I'm having a hard time figuring out what would suit me best.

Info about me; I have some riding experience, mostly atv's and trikes but also some dirt bikes though nothing recently. I'm 27, about 5'11" and 230ish pounds. 

My budget is around 4-5k. So give me some help, do I go 250 4 stroke or 2 stroke, 300 2 stroke? 350? Do I go all out with a 450? I'm aware due to my weight the suspension will need to be addressed to function properly.

Thanks for any and all help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tclark619 said:

Hey everyone, 

 

So after about 7-8 years away from riding I'm looking to get back into it. 

My riding will be mostly local woods & trails but I'd also like to try out an MX track and I'm having a hard time figuring out what would suit me best.

Info about me; I have some riding experience, mostly atv's and trikes but also some dirt bikes though nothing recently. I'm 27, about 5'11" and 230ish pounds. 

My budget is around 4-5k. So give me some help, do I go 250 4 stroke or 2 stroke, 300 2 stroke? 350? Do I go all out with a 450? I'm aware due to my weight the suspension will need to be addressed to function properly.

Thanks for any and all help!

If you're going to ride mostly woods and trails, get and enduro bike, not an MX bike. Newer enduro bikes will be fine for trying out MX and getting used to tracks. If you find you really love MX, cross that bridge when you get there. An enduro bike will do fine for casual track use until you start hitting larger jumps and hitting whoops fast. 

I wouldn't get a 450, too much bike for the woods and its too much bike for learning MX. I would shy away from a 300 2t. They're excellent bikes but it sounds like it'd probably too much bike for you right now considering you're just getting back into it and it doesn't sound like you have a ton dirt bike seat time. Remember, dirt bikes are toys. You can always just sell what you have and buy a 300 in the future, if you decide you want more power. A modern 250/350 4t or 250 2t all have plenty of power to do whatever you want to do.

2t vs 4t is really just preference. Have you ridden a 2t and a 4t in the past? Both have their pros and cons. Buying a used bike its typically a safer bet to buy a 2t. You don't know how a bikes been treated or (more importantly) maintained. If you spend the coin on a 4t and a month later you have to do a top end, you're shelling out some dough. If you buy a 2t and a month later you have to do a top end, not really a big deal. That being said, a 4t bike that isn't raced and is maintained will typically last quite a bit longer between major service intervals than a 2t. 4ts cost more to service but last longer, 2ts are cheaper to service but will typically need to be serviced more often (when not raced and maintained). And just to be clear, theres a diff between maintenance and service. Maintenance is oil, air filter, keeping everything greased and lubed...etc. Service is a new top end, new crank...etc. 

So you pretty much want to be looking at 250/350 4t enduro bikes or 250 2t enduro bikes. The biggest determining factor for 2t vs 4t should be what type of power delivery you're looking for. If you've never ridden a 2t before, I'd recommend sticking with 4t until you have a couple seasons under your belt and you're confident and comfortable riding relatively hard. If you have some 2t experience and know what you're getting into with the power hit than it really comes down to the condition of the bike(s) you're looking at and the potential service costs. 

...this turned into a long post

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could pick up good 250 twostroke for half of your bugget.  Just stiffer springs and be good to go. Probably even work good enough till you get faster.  But 250f is nice also.  Pretty much try to find a color that's in good shape and hasn't been pounded on 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow thanks for such great information guys! 

As far as maintenance and repairs go I'm actually a certified small engine mechanic but that was high school and I really haven't worked on a bike since (10 years ago), however I've got plenty of experience with cars.

It really seems as though I should be in the market for a 250/350f or 250t per your advice. I have ridden both but the last 250 I rode was before power valves existed and I wasn't a fan of the experience. 

Excellent point about being able to sell and move on down the road as well.

 

So in the categories you guys mentioned who makes the best bike for the money in the 250f class? I'm seeing the more modern bikes come with fuel injection and that sounds pretty luxurious to me lol. Much better than cleaning and rebuilding carbs.

 

Thanks again for all the help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes feul injection is great.  I really like the hard hit of my 450 but could be handful for newbies.  honestly tho if you're just going to bomb around trail ride stuff like that. Hard to beat a 250 twostroke. Their great for goon riding glad I have a couple lol 

Edited by Motox367
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tclark619 said:

Wow thanks for such great information guys! 

As far as maintenance and repairs go I'm actually a certified small engine mechanic but that was high school and I really haven't worked on a bike since (10 years ago), however I've got plenty of experience with cars.

It really seems as though I should be in the market for a 250/350f or 250t per your advice. I have ridden both but the last 250 I rode was before power valves existed and I wasn't a fan of the experience. 

Excellent point about being able to sell and move on down the road as well.

 

So in the categories you guys mentioned who makes the best bike for the money in the 250f class? I'm seeing the more modern bikes come with fuel injection and that sounds pretty luxurious to me lol. Much better than cleaning and rebuilding carbs.

 

Thanks again for all the help!

Husky FE250/350, TE250 - Most expensive, 2014+ are the KTM models listed below with linkage rear suspension (ktms have PDS) and some factory "bling" parts like black wheels, brembo hydraulics...etc.

KTM XCFW250/350, XCW250 - Slightly less expensive than the huskys. Have PDS rear suspension which people either love or loathe 

Yamaha YZ250FX, YZ250X - Cheapest, less frills and bells and whistles than the KTM/Huskys but still great bikes 

Beta is new(er) to the dirt bike scene but they've been making trials bikes forever. They're getting excellent reviews and seem to be a little more expensive than the Yammies but cheaper than KTM/Husky and competing with KTM/Husky for performance and quality in the enduro market. 

The 2t enduro bikes with power valves are pretty versatile and don't have the kick in the pants power hit that older 2t MX bikes had/have. There is still a power hit but the power delivery is more tractable for woods riding. KTM & Huskys have adjustable power valves, not sure about the yammies but with the adjustable power valves you can just about eliminate the power hit and get a rather linear power band. On the flip side, you can also make the power band more aggressive than stock as well. 

I'm loving the EFI on my husky FE350, hasn't skipped a beat. Only potential down side is IF (and thats a BIG IF) the EFI fails, its most likely going to cost a pretty penny to repair. Thats really the only downside I can come up with for EFI. But not having to rejet, clean carbs, fuss with floats, blah blah blah.. far out weighs the odd chance that the EFI might someday fail IMO.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SenorThumpy said:

Husky FE250/350, TE250 - Most expensive, 2014+ are the KTM models listed below with linkage rear suspension (ktms have PDS) and some factory "bling" parts like black wheels, brembo hydraulics...etc.

KTM XCFW250/350, XCW250 - Slightly less expensive than the huskys. Have PDS rear suspension which people either love or loathe 

Yamaha YZ250FX, YZ250X - Cheapest, less frills and bells and whistles than the KTM/Huskys but still great bikes 

Beta is new(er) to the dirt bike scene but they've been making trials bikes forever. They're getting excellent reviews and seem to be a little more expensive than the Yammies but cheaper than KTM/Husky and competing with KTM/Husky for performance and quality in the enduro market. 

The 2t enduro bikes with power valves are pretty versatile and don't have the kick in the pants power hit that older 2t MX bikes had/have. There is still a power hit but the power delivery is more tractable for woods riding. KTM & Huskys have adjustable power valves, not sure about the yammies but with the adjustable power valves you can just about eliminate the power hit and get a rather linear power band. On the flip side, you can also make the power band more aggressive than stock as well. 

I'm loving the EFI on my husky FE350, hasn't skipped a beat. Only potential down side is IF (and thats a BIG IF) the EFI fails, its most likely going to cost a pretty penny to repair. Thats really the only downside I can come up with for EFI. But not having to rejet, clean carbs, fuss with floats, blah blah blah.. far out weighs the odd chance that the EFI might someday fail IMO.

Thank you again for all this information. I'll begin my searching immediately!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apologies for taking so long to follow up in this thread folks! 

I ended up getting a 2014 YZ250F from a great guy in NJ a little over an hour from me. 

It feels so great being able to get out in the woods again. I've been taking it easy just trying to adjust to riding again, only managed 2 spills-neither of which was major and no injuries other than some small bruises were earned.

All in all I'm just really happy to be out there doing what I love again! I've been going over the bike with a fine toothed comb making sure all the maintenance is taken care of before I take it out again.

 

IMG_20170530_150808_679.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×