2000 XR250 is this head repairable?

Is this head repairable, if so where is a good place to send it? Or would I be better iff spending the $300 for a new one?

Any idea what would cause the valve to break off like this?  I'm not sure if the retainer if the retainer cracked from the valve breaking or if it caused it.

20170517_220253.jpg

20170519_104619.jpg

20170519_104533.jpg

20170519_104628.jpg

20170519_104830.jpg

I'm in the same boat with my 97, get a new one, you won't have to worry about your cam journals being wore out either.

4 minutes ago, jjpete86 said:

I'm in the same boat with my 97, get a new one, you won't have to worry about your cam journals being wore out either.

I've been seeing quite a few of them on here lately with the same damage. My bike is in mint condition with less than 50 hrs on it, just kind of wondering what is causing this to happen & how to prevent it again in the future.

I bought mine this way for cheap, my guess is valve maintenance. Keep a close eye on your valve adjustments. I'm going to keep a feeler gauge in my tool bag

• Like 1

I would have to see more of it than that to tell you if a valve broke first,  or a cam chain problem occurred,  letting the valve hit the piston.  50 hours would be very low if the engine had 50 hours since new.  50 hours since "rebuild" is a pretty different story.  I still have a house full of xr's,  and the only one that came to me with rockers that bad in the amount of time mentioned got run without oil.   Plays hell with cam chains too. 

Edited by ossagp

12 minutes ago, ossagp said:

I would have to see more of it than that to tell you if a valve broke first,  or a cam chain problem occurred,  letting the valve hit the piston.  50 hours would be very low if the engine had 50 hours since new.  50 hours since "rebuild" is a pretty different story.  I still have a house full of xr's,  and the only one that came to me with rockers that bad in the amount of time mentioned got run without oil.   Plays hell with cam chains too. 

My first thought was cam chain or tensioner but the chain & sprockets still look perfect. 50 hrs since new, the rest of the bike still looks New.  I have no idea how the rockers got that bad that quick, that's one thing that really surprised me also.

Look at the wear of the sub rocker arms. That engine has been neglected. Valves have been run too tight for a long time to create that kind of wear.

I'd buy a new head.

Edited by Trailryder42

Pic of the cam. I bought the bike in this condition but was told they kept the oil changed & maintantence was done by a local shop. At first I was wondering if they put the oil filter in backwards & it ran u of oil but it's only the exhaust side that's worn.

20170519_114514.jpg

Edited by xrcrf100

Spendy.   The exhaust sub rockers actually are hard to see,  but what I am seeing doesn't say tight to me.   I have a hard time trusting seat changes,  but if done right I am sure it would work,  but at the cost of doing it right I think the head or a different one is probably the best way to go.  I would also be replacing the oil pump.  It may be the source of the "woes".   Have you got a close up of both of the valve keepers and the stem?   

45 minutes ago, ossagp said:

Spendy.   The exhaust sub rockers actually are hard to see,  but what I am seeing doesn't say tight to me.   I have a hard time trusting seat changes,  but if done right I am sure it would work,  but at the cost of doing it right I think the head or a different one is probably the best way to go.  I would also be replacing the oil pump.  It may be the source of the "woes".   Have you got a close up of both of the valve keepers and the stem?   

I could only find on keeper but here are a few pics Of the that & the stem I

20170519_134623.jpg

20170519_134648.jpg

20170519_134632.jpg

20170519_134727.jpg

45 minutes ago, ossagp said:

Spendy.   The exhaust sub rockers actually are hard to see,  but what I am seeing doesn't say tight to me.   I have a hard time trusting seat changes,  but if done right I am sure it would work,  but at the cost of doing it right I think the head or a different one is probably the best way to go.  I would also be replacing the oil pump.  It may be the source of the "woes".   Have you got a close up of both of the valve keepers and the stem?   

There isn't any wear on the sub rockers. The only wear is on the pads of both exhaust  rocker arms where it sits on the cam & the exhaust lobes on the cam. 

Edited by xrcrf100

Look at the color of the rocker pads, and the color on the cam lobes. these parts got HOT, either by lack of oil, or tight/zero clearance. What does the center cam journal on the head look like? If that has issues it would be my choice to buy a new head versus weld repair the journal, chamber, etc. You still have a fairly large list of parts to buy. rockers, cam, head, valves, retainers, etc. The new head will come with guides and seats already installed. Take a good assessment of the sub rockers while you are there, with the beating the valves took there is likely some damage there as well- might not look like it, but check twice. 

Retainer failure could have been a split second event after the valve let go. DO the rest of the valve stems move smoothly in the guides? Looking at the surface of the piston there are far more than 50 hours on it based on the amount of carbon I see, but I don't know much about engines. :)

Edited by redhurricane
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, redhurricane said:

Look at thenolor iff the rocker pads, and th e col or on the cam lobes. these parts got HOT, either by lack of oil, or tight/zero clearance. What does the center cam journal on the head look like? If that has issues it would be my choice to buy a new head versus weld repair the journal, chamber, etc. You still have a fairly large list of parts to buy. rockers, cam, head, valves, retainers, etc. The new head will come with guides and seats already installed. Take a good assessment of the sub rockers while you are there, with the beating the valves took there is likely some damage there as well- might not look like it, but check twice. 

Retainer failure could have been a split second event after the valve let go. DO the rest of the valve stems move smoothly in the guides? Looking at the surface of the piston there are far more than 50 hours on it based on the amount of carbon I see, but I don't know much about engines. :)

The center cam journal looks good, a little discoloration but no wear.

The other valve stems still move smoothly Inthe guides. 

50hrs is what the previous owner told me, I don't know If it's true or not. The bike has a street title & the price was real good so I bought it.

To me it kind of seems like someone may have adjusted the valves with the engine not at TDC

20170519_160737.jpg

20170519_160743.jpg

Edited by xrcrf100

that's not bad on the journal. your call on cost of labor to clean up the chamber vs new head. You would still want to do guides and seats so it may be cheaper all around to just buy the new head. there's a guy on the west coast that does this work, and I believe Millennium does as well. I would NOT personally use XRS only for the head repair. 

Buy a new head while they're still available.  BTR has seen premature intake valve failures in late xr250, and recommends Kibblewhite valves.  Late 250 has 2:1 rocker ratio.  Ass backwards filter is a definite possibility.  You would want to check the entire oiling system and you may need to split cases to recover hardened steel keeper pieces before they destroy transmission.

Or, part it out.

The valve stem looks to me like it was working with one keeper for a pretty long time.   Retainer cracked and the single keeper lost the fight.   Got more of the retainer from the top down?  like in it's bore?  One of megacycle's needle bearing cams (if avail for the 2000) is the best way to go if you have bad journals or just don't want to risk running it another time,  but that head is probably going to be scrapped if it was mine.   I bought one for the earlier version about 4 years ago and it was over 300 from a Honda dealer.  as mentioned seats (of course) guides and ready for valves.  

agreed on the missing valve lock- I think it was installed incorrectly and the retainer finally gave up with just one lock in place. hopefully it is discovered in the bottom of the case without it bouncing around through the trans.

• Like 1