1979 XR250 Original Owner for $700 ??

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/mcy/6134584879.html

I'm looking at picking this bike up and wanted to see what y'all think considering the price and condition. It is an original owner w/ the title and has just under 2k miles. I should be able to snag it for 700. It needs nothing as is. Runs fine with a little tick he said (valve adjustment). It was wrecked which is why the gas tank is beat up but it has been sealed and painted over, no leaks. This will be a fixer upper as time and money flow in but just wanted to get something cheap and reliable to beat around on when I'm up in Boone at my cabin.

Edited by zchoop

It won't be cheap or reliable. Parts are non existant and that bike has not been maintained so you get to bring it back to reliable, operating condition $$$. Spend $2000 on a DRZ400 and have parts that are still made and far better reliability and actual resale too. 

After you fix all the issues with that bike you will likely have 1500 into it and the suspension will still suck along with the 23 inch front tire. Spend 500 more to have a bike to ride right now and one you can easily sell later on. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice. Only issue is I'd like to have this style dual sport. Don't like the looks of bikes after 1980 with the motocross look. I do agree I should hold off until I find something in better condition though. 

Edited by zchoop

If you want an old classic to tootle around on, go for it.

If you want to carve berms and clear triples, run Forrest run.

as long as its been maintained and the oil is regularly changed, those old 250's are totally reliable.

Head is the only real liability but dead easy to replace.

23 inch tyre not easy to find in a knobblie, and probably only a crap brand at that.

Thanks for the advice. Only issue is I'd like to have this style dual sport. Don't like the looks of bikes after 1980 with the motocross look. I do agree I should hold off until I find something in better condition though. 

As others have said, if your looking for a bike to run with your buddies who all have modern bikes (or at least from this century), then you're going to be disappointed! 

But if you're an old fart like me that rode bikes like this and just want to take it easy and relive our youth? Then go for it!

I loved these bikes when new, I had a poster from Honda of same model and dude was covered in mud - it hung in garage for 20 years!

As long as you realize it's old, slow (compared to anything made in last 20 years) and you realize body parts etc will be hard to get but still like it?

Do it!

My poster was different than these.

1979 Honda XR250

10008469326_0190bf977a_b.jpg

• Like 1