Back on a 600R!

No matter what I do, I always end up coming back to the faithful XR600R. You just can't beat the reliability and simplicity. And for how heavy they are, they just ride so damn well, even on tighter stuff. I think in rocky situations the soft suspension and added weight are a benefit.  I just snagged another one, a 1996 Honda XR600R, that I'm looking forward to getting back into riding with (after a couple kids, I've been on a few year hiatus). There is something special about these bikes, and I think Scott Summers had that figured out. Anyway, happy to be returning to the 600/650 forum with my air cooled beast and saying hi. 

On a separate note, if anyone has a set of used plastic for this thing, I'd love to ditch the spray painted wonders that are on her now :) A new set just looks a little too shiney.

• Like 2

No matter what I do, I always end up coming back to the faithful XR600R. You just can't beat the reliability and simplicity. And for how heavy they are, they just ride so damn well, even on tighter stuff. I think in rocky situations the soft suspension and added weight are a benefit.  I just snagged another one, a 1996 Honda XR600R, that I'm looking forward to getting back into riding with (after a couple kids, I've been on a few year hiatus). There is something special about these bikes, and I think Scott Summers had that figured out. Anyway, happy to be returning to the 600/650 forum with my air cooled beast and saying hi. 
On a separate note, if anyone has a set of used plastic for this thing, I'd love to ditch the spray painted wonders that are on her now  A new set just looks a little too shiney.

Pics baby

I was holding off on those because it's embarrassing what someone did, but I guess it will make for a good before and after later.... :) Note the incorrect year exhaust side number plate, the painted fenders and airbox cover, and best of all, the truck lined headlight, Ha! It did come with one of the mid-80's OEM Honda Enduro computers that were on the old 350 and 600's :thumbsup:

image2.JPG

image1.JPG

I wish people would quit with the spray paint  Mines the same way, some asshat with a couple cans of black thought he was Foose.

• Like 2

Pics baby

Aircraft stripper and elbow grease for the painted plastics.

Let's talk about those milk can/tractor seat setups in the background.  You can just leave those on my porch if your looking to get rid of them...

Fun looking XR, but I can't help but wonder what was going through someones head when the decided to paint the headlight shroud with bed liner. Oh well.

I'd love those seats too! They were at the place where I bought the bike. 

There is something special about folks who think spray paint on dirt bike plastic is ever gonna come out right. The truck liner is a whole nother special categoryof person :) They will be sorted out soon!

I like how they couldn't be bothered to cover all the plastic, but they weren't shy about getting it all over the headlight. For your sake, I hope they never even looked at the engine.

• Like 1

One thing I love about XR's is they are hard to kill. Luckily, so far it looks like it's only got a bad rear wheel bearing on the mechanical side. Other than poor cosmetic decisions, the bike seems to run good :)  And no, luckily they steered clear of painting frame, wheels or motor stuff.

I have a sandblaster at work and just did a test run on the red side panel. Gonna work well in conjunction with some carb cleaner. I think the fenders will clean up even easier. The honda factory purple on the side plate is impressive. It holds up to the sand blaster after the red stuff flies away. I think if everyone could apply paint top plastic as well as the factory stuff, this wouldn't be so bad. So far I've never seen a good rattle can job on plastic and don't expect to.... That headlight is going bye bye either way. I have a "wall of shame" for bad engineering decisions by us and our customers at work that I'll hang it on, lol. Pics will show up as I go

Edited by fourstrokin400
  • Like 2

Awesome! what a difference! :thumbsup:Is that the same tank with a new decal?