Fork oil level?

Hey fellow riders,  I'm pretty new to dirt bikes so please bare with me.  So my front forks leaked a lot of oil over the winter and at that time I didn't know your supposed to clean the seals with a seal mate.  My question is after I clean the seal's how do I inspect the oil level and refill the tubes so that I can test the seals for leaks? I really appreciate any advice, I'm kind of in a pinch and don't want to fan out the money to a shop to do it thanks.

They usually start leaking when the bushings are worn out.  I wouldn't bother trying to clean them.  It may work, even if only for a little while, but chances are good your seals and bushings need service anyway.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, turbo dan said:

They usually start leaking when the bushings are worn out.  I wouldn't bother trying to clean them.  It may work, even if only for a little while, but chances are good your seals and bushings need service anyway.

Ya, I think I'm just going to buy brand new seals,  since there cheap thanks for the advice!

10 hours ago, Jack wagon said:

Ya, I think I'm just going to buy brand new seals,  since there cheap thanks for the advice!

This will give you the opportunity to check the bushings at the same time.  Might wanna check the price on them and order at the same time.

What bike do you have?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MetricMuscle said:

This will give you the opportunity to check the bushings at the same time.  Might wanna check the price on them and order at the same time.

What bike do you have?

I have a 2001 Kawasaki kx 125.  And it looks like the bushings are around $30 and the cheapest fork seals are Tusk racing for $11.99 on rocky mountain. Also do the dust seals need to be replaced as often as the seals. they look like they are in good shape no dry rot or cracks? And you think it is totally nessesary to replace the bushings to? I would like to save as much money as possible because I still need to get the cylinder redone to even get the bike running and I'm kinda broke due to the original purchase of the bike. (I'm 15) also all the videos I've seen have said to just clean the seals with a seal mate and check for leaks and then go from there. But in my case I'm going to have to refill the forks with oil and then check so I'm trying to dicide what to do. Thanks for the help.

Try to clean them with a feeler gauge first , if not I woukd replace with oem parts, most aftermarket stuff end up leaking soon after

• Like 3