What was your first bike ever?

What was your first bike ever? I'm talking first thing ever with two wheels and a engine, not your first real dirt bike, unless that was your first bike.

Mine was a 1978 Yamaha chappy lb80. 80cc 2 stroke with a 4 speed full automatic. 2 gears in lo, 2 gears in hi.Trail scooter/moped kind of thing. my dad got it for free for me, I was about 10 years old(keep in mind this is about 2002 or 2003) it was sitting on the side of one of his friends barns, hadn't run in a awhile  and he said take it for free. It had a hole broken in the magneto cover, we patched it with pieces of soda can and jb weld. We also cleaned magneto up.We popped a new plug in it. Cleaned the carb and air filter,popped new gas and oil in it and after 10 kicks it fired to life after an unknown time of outside neglect! We got it running for only the price of about 10 bucks.   We replaced the back tire and tube after a bit for 30$(Old one had a bubble). It was good for about 45/50, the next owner claimed he got it to 65(according to its speedo with questionable accuracy)he cleaned it up and painted it.i rode it for about 6 or 7 years and sold it for a couple hundred bucks, for money for my first car(similar kind of story to the bike). Never needed anything and had tons of fun. Moved on to several other bikes after that but regret selling that one :ride:

Edited by RawbW
  • Like 1

1958 Zundap!! If my memory serves me well I do believe the bike was made in Germany? Got my drivers license on Friday and bought the bike on Sat.! The math tells me I've been riding some kind of motor bikes for 59 yrs. Gave up road riding 10 yrs. ago to dangerous. Always been riding dirt bike's and still have 2. Ride every chance I get.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, piltoyougram said:

1958 Zundap!! If my memory serves me well I do believe the bike was made in Germany? Got my drivers license on Friday and bought the bike on Sat.! The math tells me I've been riding some kind of motor bikes for 59 yrs. Gave up road riding 10 yrs. ago to dangerous. Always been riding dirt bike's and still have 2. Ride every chance I get.

1972 Penton 250, bought it used in 1980. Always riding dirt.  Next i had a vintage 1966 Dot and rode that until 1995. A yz here and a drz there...now I'm on my sweet Husky te250.  This bike is just right for my 61 year old bones...plenty of snot!

• Like 3

@piltoyougram

would that be the same zundapp that used to make some stuff on old volkswagens too? If so, then yeah that's German 

YHGEORGE: I guess us old goats know all about the Penton's I also had a 250, then a 400 before John got the KTM Dealer ship to the states. Had a couple of KTM 2 strokes, 250 and 300. Before I fell in love with the 1985 Honda XR350R. I'm on my 2nd one and it's a keeper! Great mountain climber! 

• Like 2

I got two bikes (gifts as long as I got them out of the guys garage) on the same day, a 1948 Vincent Black Shadow and a 1963 Benelli 125 Scrambler. I was 12. It was a year before I got the Benelli running and four or five before I got the Vincent running. I wanted a new Hodaka but no money. I dreamed of having a CZ or Maico.

• Like 4

1973 Yamaha DT125 smoker dual sport. Use to snap on the smoked face shield on my open face helmet and ride into down long before I had a license. Dad got sick of replacing turn signals and finally gave up. Outside of that, bike was pretty tough.

3208186921_f64631ce53.jpg

Not actual bike, but same color scheme.

• Like 3

I was born in 1975 and my first bike was a 1979 Susuki 50. I was 4yrs old and it was setting beside the Christmas tree for a month. I set on it and watched TV every day but I had to wait till after Christmas to take it out side and ride it. I was kinda mean really but I remember it like it was yesterday.lol

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, William1 said:

I got two bikes (gifts as long as I got them out of the guys garage) on the same day, a 1948 Vincent Black Shadow and a 1963 Benelli 125 Scrambler. I was 12. It was a year before I got the Benelli running and four or five before I got the Vincent running. I wanted a new Hodaka but no money. I dreamed of having a CZ or Maico.

Ah yes, Roger DeCoster on that CZ in the European MX!

• Like 1

Technically my first dirtbike was a 1982 Honda XL100S. If I ever see one I'm going to buy it. Not mine but same bike (although mine was not as nice, it was missing tail and blinkers) ED3BA1D8-CF94-416B-AAEE-750AC90F4DF9_zpsgfo0rjkd.jpg

• Like 2

Technically my first dirtbike was a 1982 Honda XL100S. If I ever see one I'm going to buy it. Not mine but same bike (although mine was not as nice, it was missing tail and blinkers) ED3BA1D8-CF94-416B-AAEE-750AC90F4DF9_zpsgfo0rjkd.jpg

Mine was an 84. With all the road stuff on it. It went from my uncle, to my two cousins, to me, my dad, then to a high school friend. I recently contacter her about the bike. She said a few years ago her dad had taken it apart because it wouldnt start. I inquired about buying it back from them, but they had sold it.
  • Like 1

@William1

isnt a Vincent black shadow worth a bunch of $$ today? Did you keep it? 

My dad was a Maico and husky fan since the early 70s. Some bultacos as well. There's an old picture before I was born of my dad with my older siblings all sitting on a maico 490( I think 490cc?Big open class 2 stroke). Many stories on that one.I really want to chase one down and buy and ride it. I know that's a step backward and kids my age(24) aren't into them, but I don't care. Same with the other older bikes I've ended up on

• Like 1

Teenager in the 1980's 

1st ATV:  1983 Honda Big-Red (dual range for a total of 10 forward gears but, no reverse!  No rear suspension)

1st dirtbike: 1986 Honda CR125R

• Like 2

1967 BSA 650 Hornet,in 1970 when I was 17(dual points with a magneto,never could keep the damned thing in time for more than a 100 miles).

• Like 1

'74 Kawasaki 90 2 stroke street bike, not sure which model, when I got it the clutch lever was mounted on the throttle side, rode like that for a couple months until I could afford to get it fixed properly. 

• Like 2