Finance or Cash (NEW)

Im sure this has been asked.  Please dont say buy used because obviously you didnt read the title.  So do you guys really cut a check for 7000-9000 dollars for a dirtbike or do you actually give straight up cash.  Or do you finance it.  Or finance it then pay the principle balance when due.  Or do you give them a credit card and use that to rack up points?  Or finance it because you can use the other money to invest on other things.  As much as a dealer would love to do cash, Im sure they wouldn't want to count all of that money and waste a bunch of time.  

Edited by vizcarmb

I wouldn't finance with out having a substantial amount of it already ready to spend. I paid cash for a new 150 two years ago. I would finance to build or maintain credit too, but not without having a huge portion of it already saved. 

All the new bikes I've bought have been street models, and yes, I financed them. Went through dealer incentive plans for the very low (sometimes no) interest rate. Either paid a chunk down or had a trade in to bring the financed part down considerably.

Dealers dont care about cash anymore. There was a time when cash talked. Now, it doesnt. They make more money if you finance it.

My opinion, do not finance anything. I know financial planners will chime in, but you can finance this and put money here, bla bla bla.

Toys. If you dont have the money, you cant afford it.

• Like 1

Save up and buy it outright. You don't want to be a slave to a toy. 

I tried to buy one on CC last year and the dealer charged a 3% fee which meant it wasn't worth it as the reward my CC offers is less than that. 

I think that as long as you are financially responsible and you understand the possible consequences, financing a bike would be perfectly fine. If the extra monthly payment doesnt affect you, then go ahead and finance. However, if youre already tight on cash, and youre an impulsive buyer, then wait and buy cash.

Money comes and goes, it mostly depends on the buyer IMO.

Good advice, but what do you actually do when you are physically there at the finance office?  Cut a check? Bust out the credit card? Give cash

3 hours ago, vizcarmb said:

Good advice, but what do you actually do when you are physically there at the finance office?  Cut a check? Bust out the credit card? Give cash

The seller should provide you with the vin # and a signed purchase order to provide the bank. 

If it's a private seller, the bank may request the seller to provide the title. 

You can also do an unsecured loan with immediate cash but the interest will generally be higher than a secured loan where you have the bike as collateral if you default on the loan.