Engine ticking after water pump seal replacement?

So my friend and i were replacing the water pump seals on his 2002 yz250f a while back and when we finished and kicked it over it made this ticking noise and it had never done that before, so a few month later he dropped it off at my house so i could look at it, i took the whole clutch side cover off and everything looks fine no marks on anything, except the water pump gear was cracked but im not sure if it was like that before or not. so finding nothing i put it back together and started it up and its still making the damn noise. its like a fast ticking not too loud but still easily noticeable.

Water pump gear cracked??  Are you not worried on having that fail and possibly blowing your motor up?   

Replace it!   If you don't there's not much you can do about it when you destroy a whole motor

Just now, yz250f 78 said:

Replace it!   If you don't there's not much you can do about it when you destroy a whole motor

I know what could happen but my mate doesnt want to spend any money on it untill we know if its a serious problem cause the bike is worth hardly anything 

I know what could happen but my mate doesnt want to spend any money on it untill we know if its a serious problem cause the bike is worth hardly anything 

Well that depends, do you consider grenading the whole motor serious?

1 minute ago, Zakrad_u said:

Well that depends, do you consider grenading the whole motor serious?

I ment the knocking noise, i know the gear is a serious problem and i will fix it if i can fix the knocking noise. 

I ment the knocking noise, i know the gear is a serious problem and i will fix it if i can fix the knocking noise. 

Gear could be flexing under load causing the noise, it needs replaced regardless so might as well do that first and see if it corrects the noise.

3 minutes ago, Zakrad_u said:

Gear could be flexing under load causing the noise, it needs replaced regardless so might as well do that first and see if it corrects the noise.

The gear isnt that badly cracked so i really doubt that would be making the noise, i think it might be the bearing. 

Buy the gear then look at the parts diagram and reassemble the water pump the correct way.   Obviously you did something wrong