Xr 650L pilot jet with dynojet kit?

Hi guys,

ive searched the forum and couldnt find an answer. I recently bought an 2005 xr 650l with only 4000km. The bike is very clean. Im at 1000fts from sea level.

I have desmogged it and desnorkled it. I wanted to do the daves mods, but ive found the dynojet needle in it. The main jet is a 165. The pilot is a 50. The slide is drilled already too. 

The bike run pretty good, except at very low rpm. It sometime hesitate. It idle much better with the choke halfway, even when hot. It pop when it goes from full throttle to no throttle.

So its appear to be atleast lean on the pilot circuit. 

Anyone with a similar set up? What pilot jet you guys use? I was thinking going to a 55...

thanks for thr help!

Edited by carbosam

Thank you guy for the reply. I turned out the mixture screw and it helped the idle quite a bit. Is it s fuel screw? Meaning turning it out richen the fuel/air mixture? I was thinking it was an air screw, so turning it out would lean it even more..

I will try a 55 pilot. Are guy able to get to the jets just by tilting the carb? Getting it out is a pain.

1 hour ago, carbosam said:

Are [you guys] able to get to the jets just by tilting the carb? Getting it out is a pain.

I've never been able to do it that way on the XR.  Have managed it on a few other bikes.

1 hour ago, ScottRNelson said:

I've never been able to do it that way on the XR.  Have managed it on a few other bikes.

I just did it. Its not easy, but doable.

The 55 pilot jet just got the bike running much better down low now. It idle much better and pull hard from down low. No hesitation at all. No back fire either. Just did a small test, but will do a longer ride soon. It was worth the hassle.

I have found the XRL carb can be serviced on the bike if you pull the rear brake reservoir and the pipe heat shield.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, XR650L_Dave said:

I have found the XRL carb can be serviced on the bike if you pull the rear brake reservoir and the pipe heat shield.

Exactly what I did yeah!