Beginner Bike Crf 250r

So I want to get into Dirt Biking, but I'm not sure what bike to start with. I am 5'7-5'8, 140 lbs, and I have sat on a crf 250r and I can flat foot one side, and tiptoe both(without the proper suspension setup). I don't feel scared, but I have only ridden a CRF 250r around someones yard, and it was fine but i still don't have a good feel for the power(but I can tell it is powerful). I have been thinking of 2 bikes, a CRF 230 or a CRF 250r. I have ridden smaller bikes (All of them too small), and i'm pretty good at it, not scared of going fast and hard. I am afraid I will outgrow the 230 because I like to go fast and race with buddies, and they are all making fun of me for even thinking of a 230. I will mostly be riding desert trails, dunes, wide mountain trails, and maybe jumping with my friends, but no motocross in the foreseeable future or tight technical stuff. I don't ride at 10'000 RPMs and am pretty easy going, but I like the power and speed that a crf 250r puts out. My budget is around 2500 for a good used bike to start out on. I know that the 230 would be fine, but my friends all have 250's and I want to keep up and I really want to like the 250 more , but I don't want to be scared of the power a bike that can keep up puts out, and i want a bike that I can ride forever without outgrowing if possible, and im up for a challange to learn on a bigger bike. I will change oil every 10 hrs. and air filter every other ride, and check valves once in a while. I also don't mind a rebuild every other year, i just dont want a 2000 breakdown. Any help is greatly appreciated. ( I'm not really technical, I just want the stereotypical fast dirt bike that will give me enjoyment just cruising around the small town that I live in in southern utah.

Thanks, PPace07

Edited by PPace07

I'm a newer rider. But larger than you. 

I decided to buy a TTR-230 and lots of people told me not to cuz I'd get bored with it. Well, they were right to a certain extent and I bought a WR450F a couple months later. 

I knew I'd outgrow the 230 but wanted my wife to ride with me so I decided to start on the 230 and then give it to my wife. Honestly, the bike moves plenty fast. Sure it isn't as sexy as the bigger bikes, but it honestly got me up some gnarly trails (even uphill in a 8-10" deep stream). 

The 450 may be more than I really need but I guess I can grow into it skill wise. 

I think the big thing to consider being a newer rider is what kind of riding you'll do. 

I knew I wouldn't be jumping or screaming around a track, so I bought trail bikes which are a little tamer than the motocross bike you are looking at. 

Just be safe and have fun. 

Hope this helps a bit. 

Also keep in mind the frame size is different between the 230 and 250. 

Go sit on both and see which feels more comfortable. 

Heck, if you're buying a used bike you can always resell it quickly and change bikes if you aren't happy with little to no loss in value. 

If you're not planning on riding mx and only trail riding there are better choices than the crf250r. Bikes like the crf230 and ttr230 are good to learn on. If you end up riding a lot you will more than likely outgrow the bike. If you get something bigger with more power it can be a little intimidating to learn on. Personally i would take my chances with the full sized bike. 

Keep an open mind when looking for a used bike with a $2500 budget. Bikes to consider whould be a wr250f, crf250x, kdx200 or 220, ktm200 or 250 2st. Maybe an newer xr250r. A non mx 4st or 2st will be better suited for riding trails. The power characteristics and suspension will be better. 

• Like 1

I'm 5'7" 185lb, In 09, my first bike was a 04 250x, I rode and loved that bike for about 5 years.

It was a sweet ride, However as a new rider I often was picking that bike up and damn was it heavy.

Since then, I switched to a ktm 200, much lighter, nimbler. 

I wish I had started out on a lighter bike as I think my progression is increasing much faster.

43 minutes ago, PPace07 said:

im leaning more towards the 250x or wr 250 though

Good choices. 

I think these are both respectable bikes that you'll have loads of fun on. 

One other bike that I looked long and hard at was a Beta 300 X-Trainer. It's a two stroke with a slightly smaller frame which may be advantageous as you could touch the ground a little easier. 

I think a WR250 or CRF250X would both be great choices for a new rider given the terrain you've said you'll be riding, if you had single trail in mind at all I think a 230 would make a FAR better choice for a first bike, and I think a 230 will still be a better bike to learn on, but riding sand, open trails and learning to jump on one you will outgrow it quickly.

Even after 22 years riding just about every type of bike you can think of, I still have an absolute blast on a 230 in single track, but I own a CRF250R and YZ250FX for they're versatility.

• Like 1

The wide ratio transmission on the crf250x and wr models is where it is at. Your race model bikes have a closed ratio tranny and can cause stalling that is aggravating for a new rider. Also the 250x and wr has much better suspension. Keep in mind the Honda crf250x since 05 had electric start. Not sure when Yamaha started with electric start.  You will grow into anyone of those bikes.