Malcolm taking another summer off

15 minutes ago, TDW said:

Yeah he's old but still seems to have the drive to race and be competitive, gotta give him credit for that!

Will be cool to see Webb next year when he starts to get serious and has some expectations, he also has that drive to race and win!

-Is it just me or has there been a lot of mention lately about two strokes, MS even had some video out last week of him thrashing on a two stroke. Seems there is some interest being stirred up with the two stroke bikes, could it be, what if, there was another series started that was centered around the two strokes?  Malcolm for one would probably be all over it if there was $ to be made. I would bet there would be plenty of other guys who would be interested but as always...what about the money?

It would be really super fucking cool, but there will never be any money to be made on a tier 2 level  championship that a guy  like malcolm who turned down other rides because not enough $$

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KTMRider4Life said:

Then why does everyone including yamaha keep tilting it in the more traditional manner...   The bike hasn't worked since they went to this design, I wonder how long they'll keep it this way.  My guess is at some point they switch it back and it gets better.  

That was their choice to tilt the motor so far towards the center of mass though.  Not a requirement in order to reverse the head.

I'm with you though, they took too much weight off of the front at some point.  They realized it later, so they have now titled it a few mm towards the front again. 

2 minutes ago, redrider144 said:

That was their choice to tilt the motor so far towards the center of mass though.  Not a requirement in order to reverse the head.

I'm with you though, they took too much weight off of the front at some point.  They realized it later, so they have now titled it a few mm towards the front again. 

But you think they got it right this time, finally huh?  I havent taken one apart but the down draft design does require them to make room where the cylinder and head are on a typical bike. 

7 minutes ago, KTMRider4Life said:

But you think they got it right this time, finally huh?  I havent taken one apart but the down draft design does require them to make room where the cylinder and head are on a typical bike. 

I think that was the only goal, for the down draft.  It's the swapping positions of the tank and air box that changed the c.g. more than anything else.  They could have tilted the head forward and done the same thing, but probably would have run into space problems with the down tube or the radiators and maybe force the tank even further back.   What Honda just did this year was an attempt at the same thing although I don't think the down draft angle is anywhere near as vertical as the YZ. 

13 minutes ago, KTMRider4Life said:

I don't know if they got it right, I'm saying I think the tilt had more to do with overzealous "mass centralization" and less to do with backwards head.

They claim they tilted it towards the front AND simultaneously made the intake straighter.

5 minutes ago, redrider144 said:

I don't know if they got it right, I'm saying I think the tilt had more to do with overzealous "mass centralization" and less to do with backwards head.

They claim they tilted it towards the front AND simultaneously made the intake straighter.

Isn't the backwards head design what allowed them to do so much mass centralization. 

24 minutes ago, KTMRider4Life said:

Isn't the backwards head design what allowed them to do so much mass centralization. 

Probably, but my point is that the backwards head isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's their obsession with mass centralization that's had the biggest effect on the bike.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KTMRider4Life said:

It would be really super &%$#@!ing cool, but there will never be any money to be made on a tier 2 level  championship that a guy  like malcolm who turned down other rides because not enough $$

Ya agree. The sport can't attract newbies that well anymore either.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Chaconne said:

4-strokes, nuff said

29 minutes ago, OUTERLIMITS said:

ATVs, SxSs, Sno & Water machines, and no skill or fitness needed, nuff said

Fixed it for ya!!;):ride:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chaconne said:

Yeah thats true, the thing is you dont have to look very hard to see that alot of the "normal bike buying public" has moved away from dirt bikes for many reasons. Some of the reasons are the down economy, the high cost and maintenance of FOUR STROKES, fewer places to ride including fewer tracks, and the rise in popularity of the quads and especially UTV's. 

There may be other reasons too but if it was possible to sell more bikes at a lower cost per bike, with less maintenance (TWO STROKES) it might help boost the sales of the major manufacturers and be good for the sport.  A two stroke nationals series would be cool:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, TDW said:

Yeah thats true, the thing is you dont have to look very hard to see that alot of the "normal bike buying public" has moved away from dirt bikes for many reasons. Some of the reasons are the down economy, the high cost and maintenance of FOUR STROKES, fewer places to ride including fewer tracks, and the rise in popularity of the quads and especially UTV's. 

There may be other reasons too but if it was possible to sell more bikes at a lower cost per bike, with less maintenance (TWO STROKES) it might help boost the sales of the major manufacturers and be good for the sport.  A two stroke nationals series would be cool:thumbsup:

I am not against any kind of engine 2T, 4T, Alt. or kind of racing and agree about cool. There have been very reliable, easy to service,  extremely low maintenance 4Ts around for years. My Honda xr4 is the lowest maintenance thing (bike, car, lawn and garden equipment included) I have ever owned.

But sadly, I don't think engine type would bring them back or has much to do with the decline of dirtbiking. Your point about quads and UTVs is spot on IMHO and those damn things are not inexpensive or maintenance free either. :cry: