Bar mounting options - 15' YZ250F

A quick question. I noticed this weekend that there are two sets of mounting holes for the bar clamps to sit in the top tripple clamps. I am a taller guy, and usually use bar risers for previous rides. They didnt really feel right on this bike, so I have been running without them. I moved the bar forward tonight to see how it feels, and at first sit, its a very good position for me. With my suspension setup, I do like the idea of being more forward on the seat more often with some changes I want to make to the setup. So...

2 questions. 

1. I looked in the manual, and it mentions nothing about these other mounting options. In fact, its very specific to the existing setup. So, is it actually an option?Also, I did not turn the bar clamps around, just moved them forward. So does that mean that there are 4 possible setups?

2. Aside from the obvious of being more forward, has anybody tried this? How did the feel change? I am interested since the bars are technically forward center of the top clamp. Would impacts/jump faces feel different? If so, how? Small adjustments feel massive to me on the track. Not to all, but me. I am pretty excited to try this one out though. 

We have been thinking of testing out these other settings on my son's 15 YZ250F, he's 15 and is 5'11" tall. We have swapped out the stock Pro Taper Contour Yamaha bend bars for the Pro Taper Contour Yamaha High Bends so far, which have helped him with his control and keeping his elbows up in the proper place. He currently only has 5 hrs. on this bike, coming from an 07 CRF250R which we were running the Pro Taper Contour RM Windham Bend bars to give him maximum adjustment.

We have a practice day coming on Sunday, if we play around with the bar settings, I will be sure to let you know.  BTW, how big of a guy are you? My son's height is listed above, and my husband is 6'3" and he feels quite comfortable with these bars and the stock mounting. 

The suspension on our YZ250F has been completely rebuilt from the ground up (new parts) and valved for a 210 lb well skilled rider. My son loves the way this bike reacts and handles, and said he just loves the way it turns.

My son and husband both prefer stiff suspensions. Hubby doesn't spend much time on the YZ, he is still a Red Fan.

Y20170408_180314_edit.jpg

1. Yes, there are 4 bar positions if you flip the clamps.

2. Can't help you with differences because I always go full forward before I even ride a bike. 6-2" 34" in-seam, need all the room I can get. It's crucial on the new Yamahas to ride forward as much as you can to get it to turn. I would think anything you can do to allow that would be an improvement. 

Edited by Kosmic

1 hour ago, WisserRacing421 said:

We have been thinking of testing out these other settings on my son's 15 YZ250F, he's 15 and is 5'11" tall. We have swapped out the stock Pro Taper Contour Yamaha bend bars for the Pro Taper Contour Yamaha High Bends so far, which have helped him with his control and keeping his elbows up in the proper place. He currently only has 5 hrs. on this bike, coming from an 07 CRF250R which we were running the Pro Taper Contour RM Windham Bend bars to give him maximum adjustment.

We have a practice day coming on Sunday, if we play around with the bar settings, I will be sure to let you know.  BTW, how big of a guy are you? My son's height is listed above, and my husband is 6'3" and he feels quite comfortable with these bars and the stock mounting. 

The suspension on our YZ250F has been completely rebuilt from the ground up (new parts) and valved for a 210 lb well skilled rider. My son loves the way this bike reacts and handles, and said he just loves the way it turns.

My son and husband both prefer stiff suspensions. Hubby doesn't spend much time on the YZ, he is still a Red Fan.

Y20170408_180314_edit.jpg

Thanks for the info. 

I am 6" and 190lbs. I have a little longer arms than most I think. lol

Too bad your settings are going to be so different with the revalve. I also prefer stiffer suspension. My old YZ250 just feels so plush with stock valving and stiffer springs. Still searching for a good base setting. I would like to run more sag, but dont want to lose the weight I have in front, thats why I am kind of anxious to try this. Also, My arms just feel more relaxed in this position. I finally found a good chassis balance that I like. The bike turns well now, but I need more rear bite. The settings also dont translate well across varying types of terrain. So I think I still have a lot of work to do. I will be sure to post my results. I should be able to go riding tuesday next week. 

Edited by Limagrunt0331

1 hour ago, Kosmic said:

1. Yes, there are 4 bar positions if you flip the clamps.

2. Can't help you with differences because I always go full forward before I even ride a bike. 6-2" 34" in-seam, need all the room I can get. It's crucial The new Yamahas to forward as much as you can to get it to turn. I would think anything you can do to allow that would be an improvement. 

Thanks! I have to agree with your comments on the bike too. Hard to be too far forward on this thing. 

2 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

I use the forward position on my 14. I like it much better. I have always been the type that runs a high bend and then rotates them forward.

Can you tell me if its only changing the cockpit feel? Is there some other feel that comes along with doing this. Been in the stock position for 2 years now. 

Also, did you flip the bar clamps 180 degrees? Or just move the whole thing forward? The clamps are slightly offset too.

Edited by Limagrunt0331

Can you tell me if its only changing the cockpit feel? Is there some other feel that comes along with doing this. Been in the stock position for 2 years now. 
Also, did you flip the bar clamps 180 degrees? Or just move the whole thing forward? The clamps are slightly offset too.

I just moved them forward. It just feel more natural to me, especially standing and in the air. Try it, it take a matter of minutes to do. If you don't like it move them back.

There are 4 positions available with the stock clamps. If you have used the closest to you for two years, adjust them slowly forward, the feel from farthest back to farthest forward is a pretty substantial difference for your muscles to adapt to. It shifts your weight farther forward and helps front end bite. I have run all the positions and found for me the front holes with the bar clamps in the rearward position, or 3 of 4 if you want to number them, felt like the best option.