Ktm 250 XC or Yz250 X?

I'm looking to get a new dirt bike. I'm leaning towards the 2017 KTM 250 XC. I was also considering a 300 XCW. But I do like the price of the yz250X better.. Anybody have experience with these bikes or any input? I do mostly off road trail riding.

For the increase in price with the 250 XC you get hydraulic clutch, larger capacity fuel tank, electric start, wiring to add lights. In previous years the YZ250X might have the edge in suspension but with the new air forks on the XC that's now debatable. 

• Like 1

I'd go yz250x just for the sake of not following the orange crazed crowd. The 250xcw is a damn good bike though, and I'd say is the better one. Ehh, you know what just go for a beta or gas gas.

• Like 1

E-start or no e-start would be my main point of consideration. After breaking my leg last year, kicking the ol' YZ over several times through the day has become a major challenge, so from that standpoint, I'd be leaning toward the KTM. I would overall rather go with Yamaha, but the lack of the button on the X is a major shortfall in today's market.

• Like 1

I went through the same decision 2 months ago. I ended up with the xc. The yamaha is a good bike but the ktm has the things mentioned plus a few more things going for it.

Tunability,  ktm has a adjustable power valve.  You can easily change the power characteristics of the bike. Also the smoothness of the counter balancer motor. Ride one back to back you will be surprised. 

Maintenance,  tool less air filter and brake pads. You can change them out in under a minute. 

Front rotor and caliper ready for and speed/computer. The rotor has the hole for the magnet and the caliper is threaded for the sensor. 

None of these things are deal breakers , just more to consider. 

If you ask

I always find it funny how yamaha guys hate ktms so much. I have both brands and like them equally well. 

• Like 1

KTMS. You just have to wonder if they can't even get a kickstand right, what else can't they get right?  Hmm. :thinking::smirk:

Quoting myself from another thread. :D

Edited by cjjeepercreeper

KTMS. You just have to wonder if they can't even get a kickstand right, what else can't they get right?  Hmm. :thinking::smirk:
Quoting myself from another thread.

"they" being Yamaha or KTM?

Just now, Chasewatmatters said:

Why don't you like the kickstand on the KTM's?

LOL, this comes from a conversation in another thread and other threads.  But, KTM kickstands are notorious for failing.  BTW, I'm one of the legions of orange haters. ;)

LOL, this comes from a conversation in another thread and other threads.  But, KTM kickstands are notorious for failing.  BTW, I'm one of the legions of orange haters.

Good to know. So let me ask you then, what do you ride that you like more than orange?

Just now, Chasewatmatters said:

Good to know. So let me ask you then, what do you ride that you like more than orange?

LOL, ride red.  We have 6 bikes, a blue one and a 5 red ones.

E-start or no e-start would be my main point of consideration. After breaking my leg last year, kicking the ol' YZ over several times through the day has become a major challenge, so from that standpoint, I'd be leaning toward the KTM. I would overall rather go with Yamaha, but the lack of the button on the X is a major shortfall in today's market.

Wow, never heard of breaking your leg kicking a bike.. Assuming you're being literal that is lol

9 minutes ago, Chasewatmatters said:

Wow, never heard of breaking your leg kicking a bike.. Assuming you're being literal that is lol

Lol, no. I broke my right femur in a bicycle crash last October. Now with a 17" rod in it, and the associated weakness from it all, the YZ can be a chore to start as the day wears on..

2 minutes ago, OLHILLBILLY said:

Edited by OLHILLBILLY

OP,
I think you should think about adding the Beta to your list of options. I will probably not buy another bike without electric start. I went with the Beta, love it. But out of the 2 mentioned, it would be the orange one for me. I had been on Yamaha for 5 years and was anti orange until I rode a 300xc. You see a lot of then for a reason.

If you are fairly fast then x suspension will be better stock. I am on my second ktm 2 stroke but wish I had went x though. Both are durable/reliable.