Engine / transmission oil crf250x

I got given 15-50 with my bike for the engine oil and found some 10-30 in the shed (transmission oil)

Will my bike be all goods running 10-30 in the transmission and 15-50 in the engine? Cheers

It should be good with them, just want to be sure that the 10-30 is JASO rated for the wet clutch. In reality, you can run regular 10-40 car oil in the motor side, and a lot of people (myself included) use ATF in the gearcase.

2 hours ago, Yokomo said:

I ran ATF in the tranny of my CRF as well.  I think it was Type F ATF, but maybe HillBilly can confirm.

You can use either Type F or the regular versions. Type F was formulated for the older Ford transmissions to give a more aggressive hook up with the clutches (why B&M recommended it for their shift kits, along with their own fluid). I've used both, and can't really tell much (if any) difference in dirt bike applications, but I go with the Dextron 3 to get a possibly smoother clutch action for woods riding. It's a personal preference thing, try all of them and go with which ever you like best. :thumbsup:

Plus 1 on olhillbilly's use of ATF in the tranny.  I use Valvoline Dextron VI synthetic ATF because I have it on hand and it provides very smooth clutch action.

For the engine and tranny Honda recommends: SAE 10W-40, API SG or higher, JASO  MA or MB, NO Energy Conserving oils.  Pro Honda GN4, HP4, HP4M (molybdenum), are suitable and recommended.   Car oils are designed to increase fual mileage (which can damage a wet clutch) and protect the catalytic, two goals that IMO are not the best for long engine life.  IMO a good synthetic motorcycle oil would be better because it would be closer to the recommend 10W for better lube during engine warm up. My fav is Redline.

Honda recommends the same oil for engine and transmission which does simplify maintenance, but I think another reason is the fill and drain ports for the engine and transmission are easily confused, so be careful.

On ‎20‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 0:47 PM, Chuck. said:

Plus 1 on olhillbilly's use of ATF in the tranny.  I use Valvoline Dextron VI synthetic ATF because I have it on hand and it provides very smooth clutch action.

For the engine and tranny Honda recommends: SAE 10W-40, API SG or higher, JASO  MA or MB, NO Energy Conserving oils.  Pro Honda GN4, HP4, HP4M (molybdenum), are suitable and recommended.   Car oils are designed to increase fual mileage (which can damage a wet clutch) and protect the catalytic, two goals that IMO are not the best for long engine life.  IMO a good synthetic motorcycle oil would be better because it would be closer to the recommend 10W for better lube during engine warm up. My fav is Redline.

Honda recommends the same oil for engine and transmission which does simplify maintenance, but I think another reason is the fill and drain ports for the engine and transmission are easily confused, so be careful.

Not to stray from the topic but the oil from the gearbox keeps going across to the engine side, (very quickly) I've changed the crank shaft seal and the counter balancer seal and I still can't solve the problem. This is frustrating me, any idea what else the problem could be?