Sign in to follow this  

Requesting suggestions for helmets that are decent for keeping cool/not getting too hot.

Helmet suggestions would be appreciated...

I would like to buy helmets for my son and I, and I would like what we get to keep our heads cool, or more accurately, not make us sweat as much as other helmets might. I am skeptical of trying to save a little money buying on Amazon, and worried about potential problems that may come from buying without first being able to try them on. So I was thinking of spending in the price range of $90-$110 each, plus tax, at a walk-in dealership. Still though, it doesn't seem that it will be very easy to tell which helmets would feel cooler in the sun on a hot day.

I have a Fox V3 and it has ventilation inlets and outlets plus air passages inside the helmet.  The inlets have flaps that can be closed or open. The padding is easy to remove for cleaning. And the helmet is lightweight. 

The new Leatts have an internal cooling system that looks interesting.

My suggestion would be to get white ones (lighter colors reflect the suns rays and stay a bit cooler than darker colors) in whatever brand you end up with. Stay moving and try to time/place your stops in the shade.

$90-$110 isn't going to get you anything fancy, Gmax, O'Neal, and entry level Fly range. Good enough, but basic in their design and construction. In the end, helmets get hot if you stop in the sun, no matter what kind/brand they are. 

22 minutes ago, OLHILLBILLY said:

My suggestion would be to get white ones (lighter colors reflect the suns rays and stay a bit cooler than darker colors) in whatever brand you end up with. Stay moving and try to time/place your stops in the shade.

$90-$110 isn't going to get you anything fancy, Gmax, O'Neal, and entry level Fly range. Good enough, but basic in their design and construction. In the end, helmets get hot if you stop in the sun, no matter what kind/brand they are. 

32 years ago a friend and I rode our bikes from Tucson to San Diego over Labor Day, the temps through the desert were 120* or so.  He had a black full face helmet, I had a white one.  We stopped at a gas station in the desert and checked the temp inside the helmets, my white one was 30*+ cooler inside.  We were stopping like every 15 minutes so he could wet down the inside of his helmet.

Edited by cjjeepercreeper