Sign in to follow this  

Tranny issues?

So what's the best way to diagnose tranny issues?

Tried going for a family ride today but wound up on the side lines because of some issues. Tried to ride but kept getting stuck in neutral. The bike was acting really strange today. Had a hard time shifting and finding gears. Then it wasn't even wanting to shift down to first. Then it wouldn't shift past neutral. Before I crack open the case which I don't really want to since I just put it together not that long ago. Then if I do split it do I need to replace everything I just did? Gaskets and all?

On another note it seemed easier to kick over today... at one point I wasn't sure if I put a crank seal in backwards so that may be some of the issue but not sure.

If the shifter is tight on the shift shaft, than only go as deep as the segment and shift pawls. If you had the case spit "not to long ago" as you say, what did the forks look like. Any witness marks and wear is an indication of a tired transmission. Also, are you using a magnetic drain plug? They go to deep if the fat washer is not used and hit the shift drum. 

• Like 2

Everything looked fine on the tranny from what I could tell. Did a bottom end on the bike earlier this winter/spring. It's the stock drain plug. Need to see if it's magnetic or not.

The last few times I've gone out I didn't notice an issue so it's weird that it crept up like this. But maybe the bike got jard and one of the shift pawls got messed up. It seemed like there was extra travel in the shifter and I couldn't feel the clicks.

• Like 1

Well, you got daylight 24/7 for a few months in the land of always dusk, and gaining 10 minutes of sun, get on it. 🤣

Will do. Although I leave this week for vacation for a couple weeks. So I'll have to really check it out when I come back. Just didn't know where to really start but I guess I'm on the right track. So take off the clutch side and check things out before pulling the whole engine and splitting things.

I love the bike but I've barely been able to ride the thing. It's so annoying.

Yep, so what bike are we loving that is annoying, YZ 125 or 250? and year? 

2000 yz250. Bought it last summer rode it 3 times then the bottom end went out. Got to busy with work so the rebuild was drug out forever and finally got it out all back together. Trying to teach the fam to ride so I haven't really gotten to ride it hard yet after the rebuild but man it's fun. Till now again.

Shifting by hand when not running is not telling you what may or may not be wrong. Get it warm, and putts it around and shift the gears. If you can't do that, get it up on a solid stand so the rear is off the ground, fire it up and drop it into first and slowly let out clutch. Do that in every gear while the rear wheel is still in rotation. Primitive, and there is no load, but it should hit every gear. 

Shifting by hand when not running is not telling you what may or may not be wrong. Get it warm, and putts it around and shift the gears. If you can't do that, get it up on a solid stand so the rear is off the ground, fire it up and drop it into first and slowly let out clutch. Do that in every gear while the rear wheel is still in rotation. Primitive, and there is no load, but it should hit every gear. 

Oh ok. Thanks for the heads up.